PDA

View Full Version : Tape Measure

Jerry Thompson
04-10-2016, 1:50 PM
If only I were a rich man! I would put out a reward for the guy that invented tape measures with legs!

John K Jordan
04-10-2016, 2:05 PM
If only I were a rich man! I would put out a reward for the guy that invented tape measures with legs!

You mean some of yours walk off? I trained my measuring tapes using the force.

I fastened large magnets to various places in the shop at lathes, bandsaw, etc. The tapes stick nicely to the magnets always stay where I put them. My theory is the magnetic force causes the measuring tape leg muscles to go dormant.

JKJ

Jerome Stanek
04-10-2016, 3:10 PM
That is why I have half a dozen free Harbor freight tapes.

Howard Garner
04-10-2016, 3:53 PM

Need some thing to hold the dummy end and run it down so you can check the smart end?
A tape measure with legs should be able to do that for you.

Howard Garner

John Terefenko
04-11-2016, 12:06 AM
Being in the construction industry for 43 years I always clipped it to my pocket. Wore some pockets out but heck they were work jeans. That habit has stuck to me in the shop too. Do not even think about it at all.

Rich Engelhardt
04-11-2016, 7:34 AM
Yep!!!

Plus a few that came free with other tools.

Heck with the idea that you can't have too many clamps......that pales in comparison to the idea you can't have too many tape measures...

;)

John McClanahan
04-11-2016, 7:54 AM

Have you checked your Harbor Freight tapes to see if they all measure the same?

John

Jerome Stanek
04-11-2016, 8:27 AM
there as close as the Stanleys I have. I have maybe 20 different tapes as I leave one at each tool and have one in each truck and car.

Rick Potter
04-11-2016, 11:18 AM
I must have 30 of them. Contractors have left me several gifts. My favorites are the Stanley (or Sears) models with lever lock. Pull 'em out, and they don't go in till you push the lever.

That being said, my go to tape in the shop is a Starret, which dad left me. I always use it for shop measuring, because some of my tapes DO read differently. It never walks away, because it is a hideous lime/chartreus green. I think it is ashamed to be seen in public.

John Terefenko
04-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Just remember not all tape measure are the same. If you have multiple tapes and they are of the cheap variety compare them to a good quality tape and see how they "measure :eek:up"

Scott Brandstetter
04-11-2016, 2:17 PM
The walking tape measure, pencil, blue painters tape (to highlight spots on wood I want to cut around, or be aware of) caused me to use a vest. It is the first thing I put on when I enter the shop.

John K Jordan
04-11-2016, 3:02 PM
... pencil ...

Something I do with pencils and markers to always keep them handy at the lathe, bandsaw, etc.: I wrap a few turns of soft iron wire around the top of the pencil. This way it will stick to a magnet put in a handy place. Use the force.

JKJ

Lee Schierer
04-11-2016, 3:11 PM
The walking tape measure, pencil, blue painters tape (to highlight spots on wood I want to cut around, or be aware of) caused me to use a vest.

Instead of painters tape, I use ordinary chalk. I can mark the wood, label pieces without fear of leaving a long term mark or any residue.

I prefer the Stanley 1" blade 25 and 30 foot tape measures. I've found them to be very consistent from tape to tape.

Jerome Stanek
04-11-2016, 4:31 PM
I just checked my HF against my new in the pack Stanley fat max and they are right on. For pencils I stick them through my belt between the buckle and loop

John K Jordan
04-11-2016, 6:35 PM
I prefer the Stanley 1" blade 25 and 30 foot tape measures. I've found them to be very consistent from tape to tape.

Do you think the long tapes are more accurate than the shorter ones?

I used to keep 25 and 30' measuring tapes around the shop. Then one day I realized I hadn't needed to measure more than 12' since I built the shop so I replaced the bulky beasts with shorter tapes (the 3/4" 16' tapes are less flimsy than the 1/2" 12') for general inside shop use and even smaller tapes stuck with the magnets at the bandsaw and lathes.

JKJ

Lee Schierer
04-12-2016, 8:24 AM
Do you think the long tapes are more accurate than the shorter ones? JKJ

They probably aren't any more accurate, but the shorter tapes have narrower tapes which aren't as stiff so they tend to flop around more when you extend them.

Brett Luna
04-12-2016, 11:23 AM
Do you think the long tapes are more accurate than the shorter ones?

It could be the reverse. The longer a tape is, the more opportunity there is for errors to accumulate. I don't think it's a huge problem with tapes from quality manufacturers, though. And really, who routinely needs to measure 27 feet to the nearest 1/64 inch?

They probably aren't any more accurate, but the shorter tapes have narrower tapes which aren't as stiff so they tend to flop around more when you extend them.

That's a feature of a short tape, not a problem!