PDA

View Full Version : Need a source for round files

Frederick Skelly
04-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Hi guys. I have a good set of chainsaw files that I use on scratch stock cutters. They leave a rough surface. When I wrap sandpaper around a dowell to hone the edge, the paper tears. So I'd like to find a few round (not tapered) files in about a 220 grit and a 400 grit. Google turned up a few but not from vendors I know, and the grits weren't specified.

Can anyone recommend a source?

Thanks much!
Fred

Jim Koepke
04-10-2016, 11:09 AM
Aren't chainsaw files about as smooth as there is with un-tapered round files? Have you tried rotating the file along the axis during the stroke?

For finer work you may want to look at slip stones or other speciality stones. Often one of my stones is not an exact size match to profile being sharpened. Then it is necessary to use a smaller slip's edge and move it carefully while working the edge.

Lee Valley has some nice water stone slips:

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=43071&cat=1,43072

If you like oilstones there is Dan's whetstones:

http://www.danswhetstone.com/arkansas_files.htm

jtk

lowell holmes
04-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Have you tried amazon?

I've had good luck buying saw files on amazon.

Frederick Skelly
04-11-2016, 6:47 AM
Thanks for your help guys!

george wilson
04-11-2016, 8:58 AM
I used to know what file cuts equalled what abrasive sizes,but have pretty much forgotten them by now. I THINK a #6 Swiss needle file equalled 600 grit wet or dry. I have a set that I have had for years. For what it's worth,you could try Gesswein Co. If anyone has such files these days,it would be them. Try Googling Gesswein.

Probably the slip stone suggestion is the most practical these days. Gesswein caters to mold makers,and has a very large selection of slip stones.

P.S..: I googles Gesswein and they still do sell #6 Swiss needle files,among other things. Go tom Bench Tools category and you will find their needle files. Do not try to get by buying the cheaper sets. But the expensive ones to get good quality.

They also sell their INOX brand of files for hard metals,which is their version of the Valtitian files,which I'm pretty sure are hard chrome plated to increase the surface hardness of the teeth. But,no one admits they are just hard chromed.

Matt Lau
04-11-2016, 6:26 PM
I think that George should be the expert here.

I'd recommend considering some Grobet Vallorbe files too from Otto Frei, Rio Grande, or your local jewelry supply store.
In my experience, jewelers are incredibly picky about good files, and willing to pay a pretty penny for better quality.

George, do you have other files that you'd recommend?

-Matt

On my end, I bought some NOS Nicholsens made in America. They were significantly nicer and cheaper than the BORG stuff.

Frederick Skelly
04-11-2016, 7:56 PM
George, Matt - Thank you!
Fred

george wilson
04-11-2016, 8:33 PM
The more expensive Gesswein needle files will be just fine. I don't buy cheap files,so I don't know where their cheap offerings come from. They can practically be guaranteed to be bad.