PDA

View Full Version : Linseed oil

kevin nee
04-10-2016, 8:42 AM
I have built a mahogany outdoor bench. I plan to finish it with Boiled Linseed Oil today. I am in Massachusetts and the temperature is 32 now and 45 later. Would there be any problem wiping the Linseed Oil on outside in this temperature. It would then be moved into a barn that is heated while I an there. Any tips would be appreciated. It is a gift for Thursday. How about thining it some.

Allen Breinig
04-10-2016, 9:23 AM
Warm it up before applying it would help some. You could also thin it with turpentine.

Art Mann
04-10-2016, 9:51 AM
Maybe you already know this but boiled linseed oil will offer very little protection from the elements.

kevin nee
04-10-2016, 10:10 AM
They use it in wood gutters in New England for protection from water etc. I am open to suggestions but am looking for an oil to bring out the grain. It is up to 37 degrees and I am wait for high sun. Note: It will be delivered Wednesday or Thursday.

Art Mann
04-10-2016, 11:27 AM
If you want the finish on your outdoor bench to look like that of an English wooden gutter, then BLO is just the right stuff. There is quite a difference between how long a piece will survive vs how long it will look good.

Scott Holmes
04-10-2016, 12:43 PM
One coat of a quality outdoor finish (non-poly) would give it the same look and more protection. Waterlox Marine would be my go-to for this project.