PDA

View Full Version : G0490 chip chute

Anthony Whitesell
04-09-2016, 10:57 PM
It is common knowledge the dust chute requires modification to work effectively with a DC (due to the open top). Previously I had added a triangular piece of wood between the chute and the end and top of the jointer base. I was wondering if a square piece of wood just covering the top of the chute from front to back and top of bottom would help the performance of the dust collector. I am doing some work on my jointer and now would be the time to make the change if it will help it work better. Any thoughts from the DC experts?

Mike Chalmers
04-10-2016, 3:57 AM
First, I am not a DC expert.

I simply put a piece of plastic covering the chute and taped it in place with sheathing tape. Works fine and took all of 10 minutes to do.

glenn bradley
04-10-2016, 10:47 AM
It is my understanding that the new version took care of this. When I bought mine I just did this with some of the packing crate ply and some silicone glue.

My thanks to the forum for knowing all about the dust chute and belt slap issues as well as their "fixes" long before I ordered. This allowed me to easily address these during assembly.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-10-2016, 11:28 AM
I have a later G0490X and the DC problem appears to have been fixed. While doing the initial assembly, I also used blue Loc-tite thread locker, removed all set screws and reinstalled using the thread locker. Then I adjusted the belt tension. I have had zero problems except for the red switch cover discussed in a previous thread.

Anthony Whitesell
04-10-2016, 7:52 PM
It is my understanding that the new version took care of this. When I bought mine I just did this with some of the packing crate ply and some silicone glue.

My thanks to the forum for knowing all about the dust chute and belt slap issues as well as their "fixes" long before I ordered. This allowed me to easily address these during assembly.

That was how I originally addressed the issue. I am doing some work on my jointer and was wondering if covering the top (like I think Mike is describing) would work better than filling in the triangular opening. Would it improve the collection is the top of the chute was covered opposed to the larger area when the triangular opening is filled. Or would it at least reduce the performance loss by trying to collect from the smaller chute?

Alan Schaffter
04-12-2016, 5:34 PM
Gee, I wonder who discovered and posted about that problem (and fix) with the Delta DJ-20 and clones almost 8 years ago! :) :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?86820-How-to-improve-jointer-dust-collection

Anthony Whitesell
04-12-2016, 6:44 PM
Doesn't surprise me.