PDA

View Full Version : Nice, solid forstner bit extension

Brian Kent
04-09-2016, 3:49 PM
I have one 6" extender of unknown origin. It does not hold the forstner bit completely straight, so there is extra heat from the friction.

What brand do you use that just does its job right and doesn't complain?

Thanks

Roger Chandler
04-09-2016, 3:57 PM
As far as I can tell, this is the best extension out there........made by the same folks who make the Colt Maxi-cut drill bits, and it runs true. This setup is the best I have used for drilling peppermill blanks.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/76/4234/COLT-MaxiCut-Extension-Shank

Brian Kent
04-09-2016, 4:07 PM
As far as I can tell, this is the best extension out there........made by the same folks who make the Colt Maxi-cut drill bits, and it runs true. This setup is the best I have used for drilling peppermill blanks.

Only one of my bits is a Colt Maxicut. Does this work with other forstners as well?
(I think the answer is yes. The shaft is the same on the others.)

Reed Gray
04-09-2016, 4:21 PM
I guess one question to ask is what are you drilling for, like peppermills? The other would be how far off is it going? Another would be are you drilling all the way through? I don't think it makes any huge difference what bit you are using, or what extender you are using, when you start getting out there a ways, it will drift. Wood grain, uneven sharpening, run out in the both the wood, headstock and tailstock match ups, added onto a longer lever will add up. If I have to go beyond the depth of the bit, I drill as far as I can before adding the extender. This at least gives you a some what straighter hole to pick up where you left off...

robo hippy

Roger Chandler
04-09-2016, 4:31 PM
A lot of the bit extensions I have seen have two set screws that push the bit tight against the opposite wall of the socket that holds the stem of the bit. It will make them off center by as much as 1/16" or more. That is the reason I got the Colt extension because they lock in and do not need set screws which push the bit off center a little.

Grain can certainly affect the direction a bit bores as well......I like to use a smaller bit and drill a pilot hole before changing over to a Forstner bit. It helps keep the larger bit tracking straight.

Brian Kent
04-09-2016, 7:40 PM
Until I get better at hollowing, I use the forstners to get started on my pitchers. I go through 4 sizes to make it work. Only one has a 6" extender. The holes are always straight, but the one with the extender that Roger described exerts some crooked pressure on the walls and heats up more.

Sometimes I am drilling as much as 8" into the blank for pitchers. I think as my hollowing improves, my need for forstners will diminish, but I am not there yet.

Fred Belknap
04-09-2016, 8:57 PM
Brian you need bits make for the maxi cut. It locks in a cam action and to my knowledge it doesn't work with other bits. I have one but haven't used it for a while as I haven't make any mills for a while.

john taliaferro
04-09-2016, 9:52 PM
colt is good stuff , i run a 1 3/4 4 ' often . Easy to re sharpen and i am always within 1" or less .

robert baccus
04-09-2016, 10:50 PM
Craft supplies has good ones. I use 2 to predrill to 18" with a cheap(well sharpened) 2" forstner bit for vases.

Brice Rogers
04-09-2016, 11:23 PM
Brian, I'm a bit surprised that the alignment is so bad (with the extension) that it makes the forstner get hot.
What I have found in deeper holes is the need to clear the shavings more often. That usually involves pulling the tailstock back which can be a little bit of a PITA. On deeper holes, I will often give a squirt of WD40 into the hole. Also, I periodically sharpen my forstners (especially my cheap ones). If you aren't familiar with sharpening forstners, take a look at the Capt Eddie video.

Brian Kent
04-09-2016, 11:54 PM
Thank you all, and yes I sharpen frequently. I measured the Colt Maxi Cut and looking from the end, the shaft is oval instead of round. One direction is 5/1000" larger than the other.

Robert Willing
04-10-2016, 9:44 AM

I use these bit as well and I have both extensions. I bought mine from Woodcraft, one of the extensions failed and Woodcraft replaced it no charge. These are the best bits and extensions. I also use these bits to initiate the bore in bowls as well as pepper mills. Take your time and keep the rpms to 350 to 450 and clear the chips out frequently. Some turners use air I use vacuum.