PDA

View Full Version : Block plane replacement blades ?

Paul Erickson
09-16-2005, 10:12 PM
Anyone know a source of replacement block plane blades that have the adjustment slots on the back, but not milled all the way through?

The reason I as, I went to LV today to buy the appropriate blade which according to the picture in the catalogue, but the only one they had had the slots milled all the way through.

I have done some scanning of the internet, but given todays experience, I would appreciate hearing from someone who has actually bought the blade I am looking for.

cheer, Paul

Andrew Ault
09-16-2005, 10:20 PM
I think I'd give Ron Hock a call:

http://www.hocktools.com/

I'm pretty sure he'd know whether his irons have holes in them. :)

- Andy

James Mittlefehldt
09-16-2005, 10:28 PM
If I am not mistaken Lee Valley sells Hock replacement blades, unless they do not cover the whole range.

Derek Cohen
09-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Paul

I imagine that it is a difference in manufacturing technique. The "slotted" ones are milled using a circular blade (like a tablesaw or a biscuit joiner). The original Stanley blades are made like this. The "holed" ones are probably milled with something akin to a router (drill through and route across).

My #65 Hock blade is milled through the metal, while my LN 60 1/2 is cut with a surface slot.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Paul Erickson
09-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the replies,

The blade I looked at was a Hock, but from the picture in the catalogue I was under the impression that the slots would be only on the back. Such was not the case. Unfortunately having the slots all the way through was a mistake in the original design, IMHO since this gets in the way of a smooth depth adjustment, given the way pressure is applied to that part of the blade by the lever cap.

Sounds like the LN may be a possibility, but then, I am wondering if spending that much on an old 60-1/2 is worth it???

cheers, Paul

Derek Cohen
09-16-2005, 11:40 PM
Sounds like the LN may be a possibility, but then, I am wondering if spending that much on an old 60-1/2 is worth it???

Paul

I have an LN blade in my Stanley #140, and it cuts like a dream (admiitedly, much of this is in the setup). The edge lasts longer than the original blade - which is why one buys an A2 blade - not necessarily because it gets sharper. The original blade can be honed to a fine edge, but does not hold it as long. Of course, the extra thickness also helps with stability in the cut. Ditto my #65 with the Hock blade. I would not go back to the original Stanley since the Hock goes on and on. (The LN and Hock are probably "6 of one and a half-dozen of the other", so this is just an illustration of "why" you buy an aftermarket blade, not which is "better").

Regards from Perth

Derek

Larry Gelder
09-17-2005, 7:09 AM
Consider this one. Chairmaker I know prefers these. Says they stay sharper longer than any other blades he owns.

http://japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=18.138.40&dept_id=12943