PDA

View Full Version : Northern Tool Coupons Gantry Crane

Carroll Courtney
04-08-2016, 6:11 PM
Good afternoon guys,well today I found myself needing a gantry crane in a desperate way.Over the last 24 mos I have manhandle,strain,rig and broken machines trying to unload them off trailers.Now I have coming is a DoAll band saw that is over 8' tall,and future projects also coming my way.So I was wondering if anyone has this crane http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200624184_200624184 if you like it?4400lbs is more than with I need so I may drop down one size,but I can't afford their price so though I would ask if anyone knows how I can locate a coupon that will knock off maybe 20%?I do have one of those engine hoist but for some things I need something that will lift tall machines.What about the gantry at HF,how's it to use?Thanks guys for ya'll thoughts on this kinda non woodworking problem----Carroll

Randy Henry
04-08-2016, 6:26 PM
Over in the Workshops forum, there is a thread you may want to look at. "Lifting point from center of shop." There is a good video of someone who made their own. I think it would be much less expensive than the one from Northern.

Charles Lent
04-09-2016, 8:50 AM
Too late !! I just gave away a Wallace 10,000 lb Adjustable height Gantry with two trolleys on 10" hard rubber locking castor wheels about two months ago, because I couldn't find a buyer for it.

Charley

kipp yeakel
04-09-2016, 9:46 AM
If you don't need the gantry to move positions. What I did was go to my local metal supplier and told them I wanted to build a crane for pulling car engines, and the dimensions of my shop. They sized the beam, cut it to length, and made me legs that bolted to the I beam. All this cost slightly more than the metal itself. I'm pretty sure I was less than $500, but it has been a few years.

Kipp

Ronald Blue
04-09-2016, 12:16 PM
What about this? houston.craigslist.org/tls/5530518133.html

Jeff Heath
04-09-2016, 6:23 PM
If you have a little bit of patience, and keep your eyes peeled on craigslist, you will find a much nicer used gantry crane that will handle a real 2 to 5 tons for far less. A friend of mine recently picked up a 5 ton for $300.00. I see them frequently enough during my frequent checking of the various lists in my area.

Be aware of the rigging points on a DoAll, depending on which model you are getting. I have an older V36, which is seriously big, and the balance point is right next to where the blade is. It depends on whether you're getting a 2 wheel or 3 wheel bandsaw. They make both, so something to check into so you don't flip it. They're quite tippy if handled properly, and once they start going, just get out of the way.

I have several machines in my shop from 4000 lbs., up to 10,000 lbs.. The light ones weigh 2-3000 lbs., so I've moved a few monsters myself.

Brian W Smith
04-10-2016, 6:20 AM
Too bad you're not closer,there's probably enough structural steel down in our woods to build one?

Agree with post #4,at least check with your local steel fabrication joint.They have been nothing but helpful to our wood shop.