PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide between Universal VLS 6.60 and Epilog Fusion M2 32

Rex Hancock
04-08-2016, 6:03 PM
I am a newbie here. I have been a lurker for a short time and really found this site to be very informative. Not smoke, reality. So my learned cohorts I need help. I am trying to decide between the 2 machines. I have reviewed all the specs so I am aware of the differences. That said, equally equipped with 60W tubes, they aren't a great deal different. As a startup I am also considering things like support, MTBF rates, duty cycles, maintenance and refurbishing costs. I would really like to hear from the experienced community their thoughts on the pros and cons of either the equipment, the company, and anything else they would be willing to share. I know that opens me up to a lot but I think I can handle it. Fire away!

Keith Winter
04-08-2016, 6:22 PM
Welcome Rex.

What will you be doing with the laser? The more info on what you plan on using it for the better people can help you.

Rex Hancock
04-09-2016, 8:56 AM
I will be using the laser for a wide variety of engraving on many types of material (wood, glass, acrylic, marble). I have settled on a 60w machine for what I need. My question is more about the durability, reliability and support from either Epilog or Universal.

Keith Winter
04-09-2016, 10:19 AM
Both machines will be excellent a the general description you gave. The weekend is kind of slow on here. I might suggest searching the forum for tropics on both manufacturers there are dozens of threads you will find useful.

Braden Todd
04-10-2016, 9:37 AM
I own 2 Epilogs and if I needed another smaller laser I'd buy from them again in a heartbeat. My machines get used a lot and I know I can depend on them when needed. Always received the best service from them and their warranty covers everything, I think mine was for two years.

Good luck

Rex Hancock
04-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Thanks Keith. I'll pursue that.

Rex Hancock
04-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Thanks. That's the kind of endorsement I was looking for. In terms of service, outside of routine maintenance, what have you had to deal with? Sounds like you keep them busy. Can I ask what you do. With that high-powered Kern I can only imagine.

Braden Todd
04-10-2016, 4:33 PM
I have had to replace a motor for the x axis, some mirrors and lenses over the years. The process was very easy and always had parts to my door the next day.

We do a lot of product marking, glass engraving, stone engraving and awards. The Kern is used to cut our own metal and acrylic blanks, next on the order list is a uv printer!