PDA

View Full Version : First shipment of my big order.

Brian Kent
04-08-2016, 5:55 PM
Celebrating the first shipment of communion sets and pitcher and basin sets for the Global UMC Clergy Women's Gathering. This was a sample shipment of 24, which represents 1/15 of the total order of 360 pieces (180 sets). The event is in August, and I have 220 pieces finished, 140 to go.:)smile emoticon

Steve Peterson
04-08-2016, 6:53 PM
Wow, that is a big order. They look great.

Steve

John K Jordan
04-08-2016, 7:00 PM
Wow, nice, what a job!

Does the variation in the photo indicate you have freedom of design?

JKJ

Brian Kent
04-08-2016, 7:09 PM
Yes, especially on the basin and pitcher. This is the first time I have gotten to do something so repetitive. So I can adjust the size and shape according to the wood and (in the case of the pitchers) my skill level.

Roger Chandler
04-08-2016, 7:56 PM
Very impressive, Brian!

CHARLES D Richards
04-08-2016, 8:05 PM
nicely done, Brian. I really like the variation in wood and form

Irving Stratton
04-12-2016, 4:04 AM
Hi Brian,

I like the small set on the far right and the large goblets, they have nice form and flow.

Can I ask what finish you have used on the goblets / pitchers to liquid proof them? Also do you know how long they will retain liquid for? What wood have you used?

I ask as my partner wants me to make a set for a priest friend.

Best regards
Irving

Brian Kent
04-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Irving, I came here to the Creek to get ideas on the water proofing. I used De-waxed shellac inside and out until pores were filled and it wouldn't absorb any more when the shellac was wet. Then I finished the outside with coats of wipe-on poly and then waxed them.

Most important, on the inside I used a bartop type of epoxy surface finish. I poured some in, rolled it around until all inner surfaces are coated, poured out the excess, then set it upright to dry. In that position, it forms a shallow pool on the bottom inside where the end grain is. I test them for several hours by filling with water and setting on a paper towel to see if any leaks onto the towel.

One note that I found out is that (if what I read was correct) the Catholic church uses only metal communion cups. The pitcher and basin would work for a Catholic priest as it is a symbol of servanthood / foot-washing from John 13. Or the wooden chalice could be a symbol of communion rather than something to use in worship. (send me a message if you want the theological explanation on the communion cup). If it is for an Episcopal Priest or any Protestant church, there is no problem using sealed wood.

And then I use many kinds of wood. I do not use white oak because of its open pores. But the large communion cups are from a local tree called Fern Pine (nit a fern or a pine - podocarpus gracilior - African Yellowwood). Small ones are Camphor, Fern Pine, and Curly Maple. Large pitchers are Beech, Curly Maple and Sapele. Small pitchers are Beech and Poplar.