PDA

View Full Version : Cracked blank and epoxy

Aaron Craven
04-08-2016, 9:58 AM
I've got a number of oak bowl blanks (about 10" diameter by 3-5" depth) that are starting to crack. I intend to rough turn them as soon as I can, but some are already cracked beyond what I'm comfortable trying to turn. For most of them, I'll probably consider re-cutting to make smaller blanks or maybe some spindle stock. However, I thought for one or two it might be interesting to experiment with filling the cracks with epoxy (after the blank has dried a good bit more). I only have experience using the normal two-part epoxy, so that is likely what I'd try -- maybe with some added dye or filler to give it some color.

My question is regarding the strength of the epoxy. Given the size and the weight of the blanks (not big for most of you probably, but for me, this will be the largest bowls I've ever worked with) and the placement of the cracks (most are very nearly centerline), will epoxy be strong enough to hold the piece together? The last think I want is for the piece to come apart on the lathe.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Epoxy will certainly work. Adding wood flour as a filler will make interesting dark streaks. You can add copier toner for black, or buy special pigments.

There is also this stuff http://www.alumilite.com/wood-turning-resin

Pat Scott
04-09-2016, 7:56 AM
I use epoxy all the time and usually mix it with artists color that you buy in a small tube. You can get it at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc.
Epoxy cuts and sands easily. If the cracks are deep, I use 24 hour epoxy to make sure it has time to flow down into the crack. The 5-minute epoxy can start to set up too quickly to penetrate fully.

I would definitely mix it with something. I recently looked at a bowl that was for sale in a store. There were a couple of cracks and bug holes that the person filled with epoxy but he didn't color the epoxy. The epoxy dried to a milky white color that stood out like a sore thumb.

William Bachtel
04-09-2016, 8:53 AM
Yes use color, blk, or brown usually works great. I grind up dark coffee for brown, and use Indian ink for black, or charcoal .