PDA

View Full Version : Best lube for bandsaw wheel

Larry Browning
04-08-2016, 7:49 AM
I am refurbishing a small Inca 342.186 bandsaw I recently purchased. I have it all disassembled and cleaned. I am now ready to start putting it back together. There are a couple of places that will need to be lubricated. The upper wheel turns on a set of roller bearings. I need to regrease those bearings and I know that traditional grease may not be the best choice due to its ability to gather sawdust. Is there a preferred lubricant other than traditional grease for these bearings? The table has a tilting mechanism that also needs lube. It seemed to have some sort of stiff maybe even waxy lube, that didn't seem to attract sawdust. I was planning on just using graphite on that, but I was wondering if there might be a better choice for that as well.

Thanks,

Matt Day
04-08-2016, 8:47 AM
Larry,
I'm not familiar with that saw, but could the bearings be replaced with sealed ones?
There's also an Incra specific forum on yahoo that might be a good resource.

Chris Fournier
04-08-2016, 8:50 AM
Larry,
I'm not familiar with that saw, but could the bearings be replaced with sealed ones?

This is excellent advice!

Larry Browning
04-08-2016, 9:19 AM
Larry,

The bearing walls are pretty thin. I doubt that sealed bearings would work. Plus, I have visited a couple of the Inca focused sites and there has never been a mention of replacing those bearings.

Alan Schwabacher
04-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Inca (not Incra, a different company) still has a website that offers spare parts and brags about customer service. I did not see a link to download a manual, but I suspect an email to them would get you the answers you need.

Larry Browning
04-08-2016, 10:11 AM
Inca (not Incra, a different company) still has a website that offers spare parts and brags about customer service. I did not see a link to download a manual, but I suspect an email to them would get you the answers you need.

I have the manual. Actually my question really has to do with grease or lubricants and is pretty generic. At this point I have gotten all the answers I need that are specific to this saw.

Andrew Hughes
04-08-2016, 10:12 AM
Eagle tools in Los Angles.They had several Inca bansaws when I was there last. Jesse is the guy to talk to.

Larry Browning
04-08-2016, 10:27 AM
I actually have much of the information about Inca and who to contact with specific info about my saw. I am asking about choosing a lubricant that is resistant to gathering sawdust. It is a generic question not specific to any brand or model of saw.