PDA

View Full Version : Estate Sale Finds

Michael Broeker
04-07-2016, 9:28 PM
I really like going to estate sales with my mom on the weekends and so far (about a month now) this is what ive found... A few items arent from this year (Honing Stones, Bailey #5) but are from estate sales. The Last photo shows a bunch of cool old wood screws from companies like National, Reed Prince, So Hard, etc that were found also. I made a little cubby hole shelving rack in between the pre-existing shelves to hold everything. If you have any estate sale finds that made your day or week Id love to check it out. I dont have very much knowledge but can learn and appreciate a cool find!

Jim Koepke
04-07-2016, 10:14 PM
NEW DUCK!!! :D

Looks like you have been busy cleaning out your wallet.

I love finding old boxes of screws that are selling for less than the brass is worth.

jtk

Michael Broeker
04-07-2016, 11:06 PM
Haha not too bad... about $68-$70 for everything, the #7 was the most so far at $20.

Joe Bailey
04-07-2016, 11:45 PM
I have filled two rooms with vintage tools from estate sales in just the past four years -- and my collecting/hoarding goes way farther back than that.
But on the subject of brass screws --

About two years ago, I bought four drawers full of brass screws (only one is pictured) for a total of 20.00. Each weighed about 40 lbs, and contained slot head brass wood screws, escutcheon pins and the odd grommet.

Dave Beauchesne
04-07-2016, 11:46 PM
You stole it all!

I agree with Jim, but I rarely find anywhere near that much here at one time. Never on the fasteners.

Well done.

Stew Denton
04-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Michael,

Great Job!

Stew

Michael Broeker
04-07-2016, 11:56 PM
Wow that is awesome! Keep the finds coming...

Jim Koepke
04-08-2016, 3:18 AM
Haha not too bad... about $68-$70 for everything, the #7 was the most so far at $20.

Dang! And I thought I was doing great on a #7 that looked a lot uglier than that one at $21.25:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373-Fettling-A-Plane-from-Junker-to-Jointer

I have filled two rooms with vintage tools from estate sales in just the past four years -- and my collecting/hoarding goes way farther back than that.
But on the subject of brass screws --

About two years ago, I bought four drawers full of brass screws (only one is pictured) for a total of 20.00. Each weighed about 40 lbs, and contained slot head brass wood screws, escutcheon pins and the odd grommet.

I have dreams about such deals.

In the second image, on the left side second compartment from the bottom are some round eyelets. They look like something my father used on stranded wire back in the 1950s to put a screw mount terminal on an end. He had a special crimping tool for them. They could also be brass grommets which are almost the same thing.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
04-08-2016, 6:46 AM
Man. I agree with Jim - NEW DUCK!!!!!!! :D

Joe Bailey
04-08-2016, 12:51 PM
In the second image, on the left side second compartment from the bottom are some round eyelets. They look like something my father used on stranded wire back in the 1950s to put a screw mount terminal on an end. He had a special crimping tool for them. They could also be brass grommets which are almost the same thing.

jtk

Jim - those are screw cup washers. Here is an image from Lee Valley

I used some recently when renovating the 120 year old double hung sashes in an old Victorian home. We drilled oversized holes in the stops, then used these in conjunction with brass, slot-head screws to make seasonally-adjustable sash stops. The cup washers not only make the installation look more finished, but also cover the elongated slots which allow adjustment.

John Crawford
04-08-2016, 1:29 PM
Wow, pretty good estate sales you found. The only problem is that now you have spent all of your good estate-sale karma. For the rest of the year, it is going to be all Herb Alpert lp's and rusty Handyman planes with broken handles.

Jim Koepke
04-08-2016, 2:08 PM
Jim - those are screw cup washers. Here is an image from Lee Valley

Your eyes are better than mine. Must be my box of screw cup washers are chromed and it didn't occur to me they are also made in brass.

Wow, pretty good estate sales you found. The only problem is that now you have spent all of your good estate-sale karma. For the rest of the year, it is going to be all Herb Alpert lp's and rusty Handyman planes with broken handles.

Sometimes I wonder if those broken plane handles came from the plane being tossed across the room in frustration.

jtk

Michael Broeker
04-16-2016, 9:49 PM
Update for this and last Saturday... I got a 4 1/2" Vise for a good price, Some Stanley and other trinkets. Does anybody have a good way to refurbish old squares? I have 4 of them now in different sizes that need to be cleaned and loved badly. Should I just use a fine grit sand paper, how about to bring the brass color back out? Thanks! Michael.

Michael Broeker
04-16-2016, 9:51 PM
Also added some lights to my shelves due to bad lighting at night time...

Nick Stokes
04-16-2016, 11:14 PM
new duck...

Luke Dupont
04-16-2016, 11:14 PM
Woah. Wow.

Okay, I have to say, I am a bit jealous.

Haven't had all that much luck looking at flea-markets and such locally, and just shelled out $50 for a Stanley No.3 on ebay. Granted, I'm sure it's worth it, but I can't help but wonder what kind of good luck charms you guys must be using to find the kind of deals I keep hearing about ;)

Ray Selinger
04-17-2016, 12:56 AM
I found #0000 steel wool worked great on the rosewood and brass. On the blade I used maroon scotch-brite and WD-40.

Michael Broeker
04-18-2016, 1:05 AM
Thanks man ill have to try that.

Michael Broeker
04-18-2016, 1:10 AM
I dont know if your talking about anything ive found but most estate sales around here are more concerned with "Antique/Vintage" big ticket furniture items then the houses old rusty tools which i think causes them being cheaper and i go early.

Jim Koepke
04-18-2016, 1:18 AM
I dont know if your talking about anything ive found but most estate sales around here are more concerned with "Antique/Vintage" big ticket furniture items then the houses old rusty tools which i think causes them being cheaper and i go early.

Going early is the key. Every time I talk to people doing estate sales, flea markets, junk sales or whatever they indicate the tools are always the first thing to go.

There are people who earn an income buying and selling old tools.

jtk

Michael Broeker
04-20-2016, 10:13 AM
From Sunday

Scott Dorrer
04-21-2016, 10:34 PM
Each of these were marked $10.00, I didn't quibble on the prices.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/boatrman/Stuff/IMGP7753.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/boatrman/media/Stuff/IMGP7753.jpg.html)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/boatrman/Stuff/IMGP7630.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/boatrman/media/Stuff/IMGP7630.jpg.html)

The Emmerts was attached to an antique Hammacher Schlemmer work bench,,,, I had to take it all or nothing.

Dave Beauchesne
04-21-2016, 11:32 PM
Each of these were marked $10.00, I didn't quibble on the prices. [/URL] [URL="http://s5.photobucket.com/user/boatrman/media/Stuff/IMGP7630.jpg.html"] (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/boatrman/media/Stuff/IMGP7753.jpg.html) The Emmerts was attached to an antique Hammacher Schlemmer work bench,,,, I had to take it all or nothing.

Unbelievable!!!! Nice score.

Jim Koepke
04-22-2016, 12:24 AM
Wow, New Duck!

From what I have read the Sargent Shoulder plane is rather rare, especially not broken.

I am green...

jtk

Stewie Simpson
04-22-2016, 12:35 AM
http://www.toolexchange.com.au/our-tools/sargent-planes/5078

Scott Dorrer
04-22-2016, 9:04 PM
Unbelievable!!!! Nice score.

I was pretty happy with the Emmerts and didn't realize the Ladybug was worth that much. These are just a couple standouts from the sale.

This was in an old dairy barn I had driven by for many years and never saw any activity. One day there was a "SALE" sign by the road and a dumpster so I stopped. I was shocked when I walked through the door. It was literally packed with tools, benches, and machinery upstairs in the loft and downstairs. The old man that owned the place passed on a couple years before and his son hired a friend to liquidate the "junk". The guy had no clue about the value of anything. He was also throwing much of it in the dumpster. I bought probably what would amount to 5 truck loads of stuff over the next month while he was cleaning it out. Also piles of lumber and packs of veneers. I turned the local woodworking club onto it and they also took truck loads of tools and wood away.

The story was the old guy was a teacher in NYC. Everytime they had an auction or was selling surplus he bought it an squirreled it away.

Michael Broeker
04-23-2016, 9:06 PM
Hey Scott very nice although I dont know anything about that Emmerts vise? Do people tend to like those over others or what can you tell me about them? Also, from today $10 for everything in 2 pics. Not a lot of great sales today...

Scott Dorrer
04-24-2016, 9:11 AM
Hey Scott very nice although I dont know anything about that Emmerts vise? Do people tend to like those over others or what can you tell me about them? Also, from today $10 for everything in 2 pics. Not a lot of great sales today...

Emmerts pattern makers vise. People either love them or hate them.

http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/index.htm

Michael Broeker
04-24-2016, 10:15 AM
Oh ok, I think those "Turtle Back" ones look really cool. Did you ever rehab it or did you just leave it as is?

Scott Dorrer
04-24-2016, 6:09 PM
Oh ok, I think those "Turtle Back" ones look really cool. Did you ever rehab it or did you just leave it as is?

I've owned a few of these over the years both Emmerts and Yost. The last time I had one mounted to a bench it was a terrific versatile vise. I sold that bench and haven't had a chance to build a new bench just for the Emmerts. I actually have 2 currently and thought about doing a full "restoration" on one while keeping the patina on the other.