PDA

View Full Version : Mouse/Rat Trap Improvement

Jim Koepke
04-07-2016, 8:53 PM
If you have a greenhouse, chickens, livestock or other pets who are fed outdoors you likely have unwanted guests. I haven't bought new traps in years so this kind of slipped my mind.

All it took was one trap having the peanut butter bait licked away without triggering to refresh my memory.

Rat/mouse traps often come as a work in progress. The one that didn't spring had a slight binding at the trigger plate. The tail of it rubbed against the spring. A little work on the staple that holds it in place with long nosed pliers fixed that. The lever also got a bit too cozy in the trigger plate's catch. Adjusting the lever's staple and also changing the angle on the vertical face with the catch on the trigger plate made it a bit scary to set. Just the way I like 'em. Finally, a bit of peanut butter is spread where the lever catches the trigger plate. I think it acts like a lubricant, besides a mouse or rat wants every bit of the bait it can get. This morning the new traps were 100% on their jobs. I only trap at night to avoid catching birds and other curious animals that are not detrimental. If a trap goes untouched during the night, it is a good sign or it is time to move the trap. Either way, they are snapped with a stick so the cats, birds, chickens, chipmunks and squirrels are safe.

Maybe we have been feeding our cats too well. They are usually pretty good about catching more mice and rats than I can trap.

jtk

Bruce Volden
04-08-2016, 9:04 AM
Jim,

I have some chickens I let run loose on my acreage. These things will eat anything!! I have seen them many times with mice, fallen baby birds, small snakes even crawdads from my pond--they are voracious!!!
No need for traps for me.

Bruce

George Bokros
04-08-2016, 12:33 PM
Tie some cotton on bait tray and put some bacon melted bacon grease on the cotton. They will not get the cotton off the trap.

Ole Anderson
04-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Chipmunks? Cute rats. They can do lot of foundation damage. What do they like? Sunflower seeds, work every time.

Myk Rian
04-08-2016, 12:57 PM
I wrap a hunk of cheese in a piece of cheese cloth or old nylon stocking and wire it to the trap paddle. Works for months.

Todd Mason-Darnell
04-08-2016, 1:01 PM
I highly recommend the bucket mouse trap..beats any spring trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMFhu8nrDmc

mark kosse
04-08-2016, 2:30 PM
I personally don't like to torture my prey. A spring trap is quick and efficient.

here is a link to my favorite trap. The mouse essentially has to open the bait container to get the bait so they never get the bait without setting off the trap.

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M140S-Quick-Mouse-2-Pack/dp/B00KGVCK42

Ole Anderson
04-08-2016, 5:42 PM
I highly recommend the bucket mouse trap..beats any spring trap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMFhu8nrDmc

The problem with those is the tiny whistles you keep hearing as the lifeguards tell them to quit horsing around.