PDA

View Full Version : First bench

Kaleb Lindley
04-07-2016, 7:33 PM
Hey guys I know I haven't been on in a while but I wanna get back to it. I'm looking to make a first workbench and want something nice. As it would be my first workbench I need some ideas on what tools I would need to create this then what materials etc. I plan for it to be a workbench that would be good for a while and that I could build a better bench from. Thanks for your input!

Ethan L D Cook
04-07-2016, 9:07 PM
There are so many answers you could get. There are so many styles / ways to build and prepare your bench.

What type of bench do you want? What type of Vises?

but most importantly, what are you going to be using it for?

Youtube woodworking bench and get lost like many of us in the literaly hundreds of hours of workbench builds, many are step by step, from using power tools to Paul Sellers step by step using only hand tools.

Ethan

Jesus was a woodworker too.

Bill Conerly
04-07-2016, 11:17 PM
Faster than YouTube is google search of workbench, then select "images". Just stay away from pinterest unless you have an account; they're obnoxious to browsers.

mike mcilroy
04-08-2016, 2:29 AM
Christopher Schwartz ( there's quite a few other authors as mentioned) has books with plans for some solid benches that can be affordable too. He has some real good suggestions on saving money on materials as well as the quality of the bench overall. I built the Roubo style bench from his plans with some locally sourced ash ( I love maple but it was just not financially worth it for me) and this bench is a beast that will last for generations. With the hardware for the 2 leg vises it was less than $300 Cdn total. Couldn't be happier. Check out his book just for the tips about materials and different functions of benches and as Bill suggested find a style you like and most likely you will find vids/ plans for it and hopefully you can do it as cheaply (or expensively if you're able) as you can afford.

Brian Tymchak
04-08-2016, 12:34 PM
.. I'm looking to make a first workbench and want something nice. As it would be my first workbench I need some ideas on what tools I would need to create this then what materials etc. I plan for it to be a workbench that would be good for a while and that I could build a better bench from. Thanks for your input!

A "nice" bench to me is something with a fairly heavy solid hardwood top (or tops in the case of a split-top design). Usually this is done as a lamination. So, unless you are a neander, to do that, tools-wise, you are looking at a jointer, planer, and tablesaw, and lots of clamps. Now you can buy laminated tops and mount to your own base, but those I've seen are 1.5" maple. Too thin for my tastes to not bounce and to mount vises.

Right now Ash is pretty plentiful on the market due to the Emerald Ash Borer infestation. It's dense and stiff, but will splinter a bit more easily than Maple.

There are dozens of styles to choose from. I built the 21st Century Workbench (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/articleindex/21st-century-workbench) featured in October, 2008 Popular Woodworking. I made some enhancements in the base to give it more mass, and the bench has been a rock. It does not move or rack, even the slightest. It could be a "forever" bench. It has split tops which might put some of the traditionalists on edge, but I love having the versatility. It was a skill builder project for me since I hadn't done much woodworking in the decades prior.

I also needed a circular saw to cut lumber to rough length, a router was helpful on some of the joinery, a heavy duty drill particularly for the dog holes, a shoulder plane for joinery, and chisels of course. Oh, and a 12" combo square and 3 or 4 4" double squares. Probably used some other stuff as well but am not remembering.

Good luck with your project!

Charles Lent
04-08-2016, 1:23 PM
I recently saw and liked a Moravian Workbench. Do a Google search for "Moravian Workbench" to find pictures, plans, DVD, etc. for building one. What I like about it is that it is very sturdy (I touched an original), yet it can easily and quickly be dis-assembled and even stored in a closet when not being used. If I was just starting out in woodworking, this is the type of workbench that I think I would want. Made from a good hardwood, like ash, or some other hardwood, it would likely last a lifetime. It also looks like you could build it with some very basic tools very easily. If the Moravians could make them 200 years ago, there can't be a need for fancy tools to make them.

Two saw horses and a salvaged solid core door will make a good quick and cheap bench too. Habitat usually has these doors very cheap. You will know it's solid core when you try to pick it up.

Charley

Kaleb Lindley
04-08-2016, 6:20 PM
I didn't really specify before but I am looking for like a sort of Omni Bench is what I would name my bench. But I would want it to suit; general carving of like figures, homework space flat enough to write on a paper without those weird marks... So like no "potholes" I guess is what I'd call them. It would need to suite a need for jewelry making, a need for project building and other things of various size, and eventual wood turning, and 3D printing.

Michael W. Clark
04-09-2016, 4:37 PM
It sounds like you need something that is flat with no voids or cracks for writing. You might do a few pieces of MDF layered up to get the thickness you want. It would be flat, cheap, fast, and take minimal tools. Use it and see what improvements you want to make. It would be useful for building an improved bench, then could be used for other tasks such as assembly.

My workbench has too many marks and gouges in it to be used as a normal writing surface.

Mike Walsh
04-09-2016, 8:26 PM
Check out Fine Woodworking, there are a number of great examples. I built one based on Garrett Hack's "workbench of a lifetime" that I love - took a while to build, is very heavy but worth every minute (and lbs) that went into it. I did all of the construction with a tablesaw, planer and drill press (for mortises). Was pretty careful gluing the top, trying to minimize time spent flattening it - even with some extra effort, I got tired of flattening with handplanes and eventually found a cabinet shop with a 3' beltsander. For $100 they quickly got the top close to finish quality.

Also check out Phil Lowe's workbench video on FWW - different style and size compared to the Hack bench. I've taken classes at Phil's school and used the bench, which is very nice