PDA

View Full Version : What's the right grease for lathe bearings ?

Jerry Kelly
04-06-2016, 5:31 PM
I'm in the process of rehabbing a Rockwell / Delta 46-525 and was wondering what you all use to grease the two main headstock bearings ?

I was about to use Yamaha marine bearing grease but figured you all might have a better idea.

Roger Chandler
04-06-2016, 5:38 PM
Most modern lathes use sealed bearings......they get replaced when they go bad. I am not familiar with the model lathe you mention in your post, so perhaps it might be one where they do get greased? If possible, I would try to find a double shielded bearing that fits and install those on the spindle.

Doug Ladendorf
04-06-2016, 6:52 PM
You can get bearing grease at an auto parts store. When I cleaned and regressed my Conover lathe I used the Mobile 1 synthetic grease on the Timkin bearings. Doug

ron david
04-06-2016, 7:41 PM
I'm in the process of rehabbing a Rockwell / Delta 46-525 and was wondering what you all use to grease the two main headstock bearings ?

I was about to use Yamaha marine bearing grease but figured you all might have a better idea.

they just get replaced when worn. which one should do once or twice in a lifetime. they are a sealed bearing. most lathes have sealed bearings. at one time most required oil. my machinist lathe has oil cups. my modified General 260 has double spherical roller bearings and require grease. I just use what is used for axle bearings , a general purpose grease. bearings are $350.00 apiece. I just got tired of ball bearings and built my own headstock using a 2 3/16" shaft with a #3 morris taper
ron

Allan Speers
04-06-2016, 7:44 PM
Say, Jerry, I beat you by 1/2 hour!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?242712-Favorite-Grease