PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Grease?

Allan Speers
04-06-2016, 5:00 PM
I never gave it much thought before, but I have a few machines I'm going to strip down, adjust, and re-lubricate.
My Powermatic planer manual (1980's) recommends Lubriplate 630-AA, but I can't find this in a 14 oz tube, nor can I find it sold by the single-piece, only cartons.

Does anyone have a favorite grease, for any reason?

Also, if one is picky & trying to do it right, should one use a different grease for bearings, than for gears & such?

Bruce Page
04-06-2016, 5:22 PM
The maker of my CNC recommend Mobilux EP 1, so that's what I use. No complaints.

Allan Speers
04-06-2016, 5:45 PM
Thanks.

Also for bearings? I'm reading now that calcium-based grease (as opposed to lithium or lithium complex grease) have better pressure & wear resistance, and so might be better for bearings. I'm probably over-thinking this to a ridiculous degree, but it's always good to know.

UPDATE: This stuff from Mobile is specifically for bearings, and REALLY expensive. I'm thinking it's probably worth considering, given how little we actually use in the woodshop:
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00265470

Anyone use this stuff?

Erik Loza
04-06-2016, 6:45 PM
I use white lithium for all the usual metal-on-metal ways, screws, etc.

Centauro uses this clear green vasoline-type grease on the MM bandsaws. I think it's this stuff but not sure...

http://www.rcmart.com/green-grease-p-36928.html?cPath=1555_124

Erik

Mike Cutler
04-06-2016, 10:06 PM
GS-450 for marine environments.
DC-55M for O-rings.
White lithium for clean sliding parts.
Chassis lube for ways and acme threads.
Phil Woods Bottom Bracket Grease for non sealed bearings.

Roger Pozzi
04-07-2016, 7:24 AM
Here (https://www.lubriplate.com/Online-Store/10-oz-tubes/No-630-AA-10-oz-tube.html) you go. Not a bad price IMO.

Robert Parent
04-07-2016, 7:35 AM
I'll second the Mobilux EP1 if you need a light grease. McMaster Carr sells it by single tubes.

Robert

David Kumm
04-07-2016, 10:46 AM
SKF LGHP2. Dave

Tom Ewell
04-07-2016, 12:21 PM
Nice little grease, haven't used it much for woodworking gear tho, lubed some camera gear, old projector rebuilds, food implements, small stuff, likes O rings.
Dupont Krytox GPL 205

Frank Pratt
04-07-2016, 2:32 PM
SawStop recommends wheel bearing grease, preferably marine grade.

jack forsberg
04-08-2016, 8:33 PM
SKF LGHP2. Dave
Perfect for the application and available at any bearing house

John K Jordan
04-08-2016, 11:26 PM
My favorite general purpose grease is Zep 2000 clear penetrating grease in an aerosol can. This stuff is great - it goes on liquid, penetrates and can be worked into joints and things, then changes to a higher viscosity (sets up) in a few seconds and stays where put. With the tube applicator I can get a tiny bit into a tight spot. I use it for hinges, bolts, bushings, cables, chains, and general farm and equipment use.

http://www.amazon.com/2000-Heavy-Clear-Penetrating-Grease/dp/B008KMAJN8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_3

but I buy it locally.

JKJ

Allan Speers
04-08-2016, 11:42 PM
My favorite general purpose grease is Zep 2000 clear penetrating grease in an aerosol can. This stuff is great - it goes on liquid, penetrates and can be worked into joints and things, then changes to a higher viscosity (sets up) in a few seconds and stays where put. With the tube applicator I can get a tiny bit into a tight spot. I use it for hinges, bolts, bushings, cables, chains, and general farm and equipment use.

http://www.amazon.com/2000-Heavy-Clear-Penetrating-Grease/dp/B008KMAJN8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_3

but I buy it locally.

JKJ

Say, that stuff looks pretty handy. It might not be the ultimate grease, but it will be good to have around. Thanks.

I guess determining "the best" for various applications is near impossible. I have no bloody idea how to decide at this point, but probably it doesn't even matter much. :o

John K Jordan
04-09-2016, 6:46 AM
... probably it doesn't even matter much.

That is exactly how I view lubrication in general. If you keep something lubricated, with very few caveats what does it matter if what you use is not the optimum? The biggest issue with grease is forgetting to use some.

JKJ

David Kumm
04-09-2016, 8:19 AM
[QUOTE=John K Jordan;2551775]That is exactly how I view lubrication in general. If you keep something lubricated, with very few caveats what does it matter if what you use is not the optimum? The biggest issue with grease is forgetting to use some.

JKJ[/QUO

Or in the case of bearings using too much. Dave

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-09-2016, 8:24 AM
This stuff from Mobile is specifically for bearings, and REALLY expensive......

The Kluber GL 251 we use on our CNC is about $60/tube.
We have some Kluber spindle bearing grease that was $400 for a tub.

Allan Speers
04-09-2016, 3:39 PM
The Kluber GL 251 we use on our CNC is about $60/tube.
We have some Kluber spindle bearing grease that was $400 for a tub.

Holy cow.

What makes it worth that much? (serious question.)