PDA

View Full Version : Heinous Noise While Installing Leecraft Table Saw Insert

Steve H Graham
04-06-2016, 3:36 PM
I am installing a Leecraft melamine insert in a Powermatic 66. I don't have the splitter kerf done yet. I just finished the main kerf for the blade.

It made a hellacious racket while I was cutting it, to the point where I turned the saw off and looked under the table to make sure no metal parts had fallen into the way of the blade.

Now the kerf is done, but it's still noisy.

Is this normal? Is there a standard way to fix it without opening the kerf up and defeating the purpose of the zero-clearance insert?

Edit: I finally found the fine print that says various things can cause noise, and that the answer is to sand the inside of the kerf.

The smell this thing gives off is quite remarkable.

Michael Weber
04-06-2016, 5:44 PM
Good to know. My shop is currently so jam packed there is no room for smells:rolleyes:

Steve H Graham
04-06-2016, 6:30 PM
It's like a flaming urinal.

Erik Loza
04-06-2016, 6:54 PM
...The smell this thing gives off is quite remarkable.

One of my colleagues made some ZCI's out of phenolic sheet once. I thought someone must have been burning a human body when I walked into the shop. Terrible smell!

Erik

Sean Troy
04-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Were you using a thin kerf blade? If so, try using a wider kerf blade for the cut. then the other blade won't make noise. :D

Steve H Graham
04-07-2016, 9:26 AM
It's a 1/8" triple-chip corian blade. A bunch of them came with the saw, so I use them for everything!

Tom M King
04-07-2016, 9:56 AM
Those blades don't have any set (or at least mine don't), so the whole width of a tooth will rub going through the plate. The plate I made for that blade was plywood, so it's never been noisy to me-not planned that way, just didn't want to use a $ plate for limited use.

Steve H Graham
04-07-2016, 10:04 AM
You learn something new every day. Unfortunately.

Garth Almgren
04-07-2016, 4:19 PM
I have a phenolic insert and it makes quite a bit of noise against the blade. I still need to sand it down more...
(and yes, that stuff STINKS when you route or cut it)

Sam Murdoch
04-07-2016, 5:32 PM
I like baltic birch for inserts. Smell? is, well - kind of nice :)

Harry Niemann
04-08-2016, 10:53 AM
I have used Laminate flooring with success.