PDA

View Full Version : Holes cut too many times

Bert Kemp
04-06-2016, 1:26 PM
This has been an on going problem but I just let it go but would really like to fix it.
I'm making key fobs, the have 2 -.125 holes to cut out. every time I run these those 2 holes cut 21 times each. I have no idea why. the holes are 1 layer hair line just like the rest of the file , it all cuts out just fine but the holes go round and round 21 times go figure. It won't let me post a file its 623 kb and it says its to big.
any ideas thanks in advance for any help.

Tony Lenkic
04-06-2016, 1:34 PM
Bert,

You are exporting to DXF, correct?
I've had similar findings when customer sends DXF file that when imported in Corel would do just that.
Is there a way to remove all those extra objects in your working software before sending job to laser?

Bert Kemp
04-06-2016, 1:36 PM
yes importing as dxf but I see no extra objects the holes are just a .125 hairline circle

Tony Lenkic
04-06-2016, 1:53 PM
It has to do something with DXF import translation.
My workaround in Corel to get rid of extra 20 passes is using smart fill tool / remove original / no fill on new circle with red hairline.

Jerome Stanek
04-06-2016, 2:51 PM
I sometimes get DXFs with duplicate lines that show as only one. I use Aspire and select show all duplicate vectors and delete them.

Bert Kemp
04-06-2016, 3:02 PM
I'll try this next time I make them thanx

It has to do something with DXF import translation.
My workaround in Corel to get rid of extra 20 passes is using smart fill tool / remove original / no fill on new circle with red hairline.

Bert Kemp
04-06-2016, 3:02 PM
What is aspire I get nothing related to lasering when I google it

I sometimes get DXFs with duplicate lines that show as only one. I use Aspire and select show all duplicate vectors and delete them.

Bruce Clumpner
04-06-2016, 7:57 PM
Sometimes in these file translations the objects layer on top of each other. There must be 21 objects for the path to follow. In corel just set your nudge to 1" and move the top object off to the side, then just delete all the remaining objects, and move the top element back. It's tedious, but if you run this file often the effort will be worth it for your piece of mind.

Bert Kemp
04-06-2016, 8:34 PM
Thanks Bruce I'll try this tomorrow going out for seafood:D

Sometimes in these file translations the objects layer on top of each other. There must be 21 objects for the path to follow. In corel just set your nudge to 1" and move the top object off to the side, then just delete all the remaining objects, and move the top element back. It's tedious, but if you run this file often the effort will be worth it for your piece of mind.

Kev Williams
04-06-2016, 8:42 PM
This is where the 'outline' function is your friend-- I used to do the 'slide' thing, but found this to be much faster and easier...

These are screenshots of a section of an operator panel via DXF that is typical of what I get from a customer.

Note the holes all have crosses in them, and the red circles (which indicates stud location), which is a series of spirals.
Also note my nudge is set at 12", since the plate layout is around 11"...

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/ot2.jpg

I don't need the crosses or spirals, and many times I've found multiples of the same item. So what I do is group everything, then outline it.
Remember that anything within a group won't get outlined, which is what you want, but you also have to make sure the items you
want grouped ARE grouped; grouping the outer box means only the box will outline, nothing within it...

This is a 2-part shot that shows the interior items grouped, the arrow pointing to the 'outline' icon, and to the right, the items I outlined and moved over 12"
with one nudge...Notice all the spirals and crosses are gone, and there is definitely only ONE of every item! Another benefit of this procedure is,
it fully connects all 'broken' DXF pieces, which is usually EVERYthing in DXF's, as long as the shape is closed...

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/ot3.jpg

Then it's just a matter of deleting the originals, and nudging the new items back into place. It only takes a couple of seconds and works great!

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/ot4.jpg

Rich Harman
04-07-2016, 12:04 AM
RD Cam/Laserworks has a menu option to delete duplicate lines. Maybe your software does too?

If there are only two circles it should be very easy to delete what is there and draw two new ones.

Chris J Anderson
04-07-2016, 12:07 AM
e-cut has a 'remove duplicates' macro which does this easily.

just another feature of a rte ally nice program.

i know it keep saying it, but theres a lot of nice features in there for the amount you have to spend...

Neville Stewart
04-07-2016, 6:19 AM
That is excellent Kev Williams, don't fully understand it but I'm sure it will make sense when I'm in Corel. I run into many similar issues when prepping files for a fiber laser.

John Frazee
04-07-2016, 3:49 PM
I save my work as an ai and then go to Lasercut and import it. In corel, I make my circles with the circle tool and then size it. I never have to outline or anything. I've never had an issue.

Jerome Stanek
04-07-2016, 4:20 PM
Aspire is Vectrics high end cam program that I use for my CNC and laser.

Kev Williams
04-07-2016, 4:52 PM
I just came across a job that fits this discussion perfectly- Got sent a DXF to cut out the shape, with holes...
There's 4 holes, and the outer cut, that's 5 objects. I grouped the whole graphic, and see the arrow, 100 objects!

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/out1a.jpg

So I clicked and moved a few pieces-- with the exception of
the actual circles, ALL pieces are disconnected!

http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/out2a.jpg

So then I grouped the outer box and outlined it and moved it, did the same with the holes,
then grouped the new graphic. Note the arrow, only 5 objects :)
http://www.engraver1.com/erase2/out3a.jpg

Rich Harman
04-07-2016, 6:44 PM
I just came across a job that fits this discussion perfectly- Got sent a DXF to cut out the shape, with holes...
There's 4 holes, and the outer cut, that's 5 objects. I grouped the whole graphic, and see the arrow, 100 objects!

In this and your previous example it looks like one click with the smart fill tool would accomplish the same thing. What benefit is there to using the outline tool?

Bert Kemp
04-07-2016, 9:11 PM
Haven't had a chance yet to try out any of these working on other things now but will get back to then in a day or 2, thanx for all the suggestions.

Kev Williams
04-07-2016, 9:56 PM
In this and your previous example it looks like one click with the smart fill tool would accomplish the same thing. What benefit is there to using the outline tool?

Smart fill works too, I'm just not that familiar with it. Like many others, no one's taught me to use Corel and I'm still learning... :)

So, I just tried the smart fill, it worked fine on my shape & holes graphic. However, on another set of DXF graphics dropped off on me today, I found filled everything on the page, not just what was grouped, and it didn't fill the interior items like it did on the other graphic. And I didn't actually want color fill, only vector lines, so I had to remove the color...

So, 'benefit' depends on the user and what he's doing!

Rich Harman
04-08-2016, 2:07 AM
...I found filled everything on the page, not just what was grouped, and it didn't fill the interior items like it did on the other graphic. And I didn't actually want color fill, only vector lines, so I had to remove the color...

If the graphics are not closed then some extra steps are necessary, or if there is a closed shape within a shape within a shape then extra clicks are needed because it only fills the open space between closed shapes. But I would think that the extra work needed would be less with the smart fill tool then with outlining.

Removing the color is one click too. I'm just curious if there is a situation where outlining is fewer steps than using smart fill.

Bert Kemp
04-09-2016, 6:22 PM
I tried this and when I nudge it there is only one circle.

Bert Kemp
04-09-2016, 6:26 PM
Maybe I miss whats suppose to happen when using smart fill.
What did was put the smart fill sight in the center of my 1/8 inch circle hit enter. What it did was fill the center of that circle with a grey color and put a thick black outline around that fill.When I went to cut that circle same thing 21 cuts. Did I do it wrong?

Bert Kemp
04-09-2016, 6:36 PM
This is how I made the key fob.
got the basic shape with my holes
selected all of it
clicked "no outline" this left a blank page
Clicked "hair outline" this put hair outline on all I selected.
Changed outline color to red.

This should have left me with just a basic key fob and Like I said there are no other objects there according to the nudge it moved my original circle out of the way and left a blank space where it was.
GO FIGURE
ok heres the original file see if you guys can tell me what I did wrong here as far as the circles go
thnx x5

RD Cam/Laserworks has a menu option to delete duplicate lines. Maybe your software does too?

If there are only two circles it should be very easy to delete what is there and draw two new ones.335468

Ross Moshinsky
04-09-2016, 9:03 PM
Control + K on the circles. Then delete the extras.

Join the overall shape (Arange -> Join Curves). I'm not sure if it will effect you but your overall shape is not symmetrical.

Also one more trick for deleting a lot of extra shapes, I like to get the "good stuff" then hit control + x (cut). Then select everything (control + a) and simply delete it. Then hit control +v (paste). This technique has saved me a lot of aggravation because you don't have to worry about any nonsense remaining on the page.

Tony Lenkic
04-09-2016, 9:30 PM
Bert,

Select one of the holes that go to arrange/brake curve apart. Now with nudge offset you can see that there are multiple images stacked on top of each other.

Ross has instructed you how to go about to clean up.

Kevin L. Waldron
04-09-2016, 9:47 PM
If your customer can export or send as a DWG rather than a DXF it will help...... Corel seems to like it better and want give you as much trouble......Another solution would be to get one of the free DWG/DXF programs and load the file in this program and then resend in same format or another. (Something like "Draftsight" "Fusion") Most of the time it is the program that is preparing the DXF or DWG file that is the culprit. We personally use Turbocad for all of our Cad drawing for the laser and then send to Corel as a DWG. Our files are very extensive and complex as a whole with our musical instrument templates.

Michele Welch
04-09-2016, 9:49 PM
Bert, I just emailed you 2 files,let me know if they work or not.

Bert Kemp
04-09-2016, 10:20 PM
Tony did you do this with the file I attached? I read your post went directly to file and tried that it still only shows 1 one circle nothing underneath it.

Bert,

Select one of the holes that go to arrange/brake curve apart. Now with nudge offset you can see that there are multiple images stacked on top of each other.

Ross has instructed you how to go about to clean up.

Tony Lenkic
04-09-2016, 11:11 PM
Bert,

Here is another way for you get get deeper into problem solving.

With only key fob image on your page open "OBJECT MANAGER" docker.
You will see 6 objects. Now select one of the holes and press "CTRL + K" on your keyboard. Now in object manager you will see all additional objects that were now noticed before you brake them apart (CTRL + K).

On the Smart fill tool subject when you use it try only one so object to fill so you get the feel of it.
Pick smart fill tool and choose the color from the pallet and outline color pallet and also select hairline. Now click on one of the holes and you should have it filled. Right away move the filled object in any direction to clear previous hole. Now delete original and move new one back to same spot. Remove the fill and leave only outline for processing with laser.

Hope this helps.

Rich Harman
04-10-2016, 12:32 AM
Maybe I miss whats suppose to happen when using smart fill.
What did was put the smart fill sight in the center of my 1/8 inch circle hit enter. What it did was fill the center of that circle with a grey color and put a thick black outline around that fill.When I went to cut that circle same thing 21 cuts. Did I do it wrong?

You would click outside that circle but inside the outline of the key fob. That would flood fill the area in between creating a new shape with outline and fill type of what is currently in use. Then you just click/drag that new shape off to the side and delete everything else - or control x to cut, delete what you don't need then paste it back. Or, set up a nudge so that you can move it aside to delete things, then nudge it back to the same spot. I think cutting and pasting is easiest.

I think that once you choose the fill and outline type for the smart fill tool that the settings persist so that the next time you use it you will not need to set it up again.

Rich Harman
04-10-2016, 12:42 AM
This is how I made the key fob...

I just looked at your file. The problem is that the outline is not a closed shape. If you view it in wireframe mode you can see that it is not joined at the sides. Click on node edit, click and drag the the endpoints to meet the other lines, switch back to enhanced view mode, then the smart fill will work.

One minute and it's done, with time left over.

Also, once you have the new shape after using smart fill, you can go back to node edit and select and delete those two nodes on either side to smooth out the shape.

Rich Harman
04-10-2016, 12:43 AM
So, I just tried the smart fill, ... I didn't actually want color fill, only vector lines, so I had to remove the color...

You can set the smart fill so that it only makes outlines (hairlines) and no fill.

Bert Kemp
04-10-2016, 1:22 AM
im really getting confused with all these different ways to supposedly do the same thing.calling it a night thanx