PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for small Corian solid surface cut outs

Mayo Pardo
04-06-2016, 1:15 PM
I have access to numerous small (12 x 13 3/8 inch in .50 thickness) corian and corian-like cut outs from a counter top manufacturer but I can't figure out what to make from them!
They're too small for what I had originally intended. The color is #716 - a kind of speckled white.

I don't have a rotary, so I can't turn them into hundreds of rings, although with enough sanding I suppose I could make bangles/bracelets but kind of doubt if they would sell.

I do have a Ringmaster bowl maker and I could try making some bowls on that - just not sure what adhesive to use that wouldn't show where the rings adhere to each other.

Anyone have ideas? Maybe color filled awards/plaques? (I don't have any customers for this but could possibly bring samples to schools or hospitals)

Mike Null
04-06-2016, 3:07 PM
You have a ShopBot so you can do practically anything you want with them. I've made a number of boat dock signs, house number signs, etc. I always use a color fill. I prefer the darker Corian but the lighter colors can be used for a lot of projects. I've also made some grave markers.

Quinn McCarthy
04-06-2016, 3:10 PM
I am making a segmented bowl blank for the lathe with the scraps I got.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2016, 3:15 PM
I don't know what the heat range is on corian but when we remodeled our kitchen, we had granite counter tops installed. The granite people used the cutouts for the undermount sink and made 4 trivets for us. My wife dearly loves those trivets.

Tony Lenkic
04-06-2016, 3:18 PM
Mayo,

How about making some wayfinding signs, door/desk nameplates, washroom pictograms with applique in contrasting color.

Mayo Pardo
04-07-2016, 1:11 AM
Several ideas for possibilities here - thanks everyone!

Keith Outten
04-07-2016, 2:08 AM
Mayo,

Along with the other suggestions you have received solid surface material makes great shop jigs and fixtures for almost every machine in your shop. If you can heat it to about 320 degrees for twenty minutes of soak time you can bend it. Small scraps cut on your CNC Router can be useful for shop scrapers, the edge of solid surface material is pretty sharp. If you have a wood or metal lathe you can turn pens and other small items like custom bushings, cones, and other special shapes for projects. I've made custom cone shapes to fit glassware that I engraved on my rotary, recently 130 champagne glasses for a wedding.

The possibilities are almost endless.

Gary Gill
04-07-2016, 5:55 AM
I build ukuleles and I make the nuts and saddles using Corian.

Curt Harms
04-07-2016, 7:35 AM
I made bandsaw blade guides out of Corian. It's not all that hard - it can be worked with woodworking tools after all - so don't know how it will wear. It's easy enough to square up any worn surfaces on a sander or just make new.

Ted Calver
04-07-2016, 10:59 AM
Fret slot cutting jig for cigar box guitars....or any guitars for that matter. Used Helicoil inserts to allow for adjustment.