PDA

View Full Version : First Post, Already in Trouble...

Jason Quick
09-16-2005, 6:19 PM
Hi everyone! My first posting, and I've already got a bit of a problem. I'm hoping you can help...

Got a Delta 22-540 12" planer out in the garage/shop that I replaced the knives on. No big deal, right? Well, when I started her up after, I heard a horrible squealing noise, followed by rubber smoke. Clearly a slipping drive belt. Then it caught and started moving the cutterhead, intermittently.:eek:

When that happened, it sounded a bit, uh, wobbly. Like the cutterhead is clipping something as it rotates. But I'm not seeing any evidence of such, like the damage to the knives or such one would expect. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't recall a noise like that EVER coming from the machine before. Of course, it's out of commission until I figure out what's wrong.

How can I deal with this? The owner's manual is of no help whatever, and my experience with planers isn't as encyclopedic as it could be. And I can ill-afford to be without a planer, as I'm supposed to be starting a new project very soon. Thanks in advance!

Jason

Scott Donley
09-16-2005, 6:47 PM
Hi, this may sound stupid, but are you sure you have the blades for the 540 and not the 560 ? Try putting the old blades back in and see if that cures the problelem. The 560's are 1/2 inch longer. Good luck

Les Spencer
09-16-2005, 10:23 PM
Jason,

Have you tried just rotating the cutter head by hand? If you can't, try pulling the knives and then check by hand. You may have the wrong knives. Don't turn machine on until you can safely turn by hand. The smell was the belts slipping from whatever is hitting.

Jim Dunn
09-16-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey, first off welcome to the Creek. Can't help your jointer problems but good luck fixing them.

John Lucas
09-17-2005, 12:39 AM
Jason, I think that there is a chance that the blade is too one side or the eother... unplug the machine, remove the cutter cover and try rotating the head by hand (be careful). There should be about 1/8" on both ends of the blade. I will assume for the moment that the rubber smell is the timing belt.
For the moment, move the blades so that they are centered on the head and see if you can rotate the head.
If you cant, remove the blades altogether and besure to capturre those little springs that go under the blade...there are 6 or 7 of them per each blade. With the blade out, see if you can turn the head. You can also plug it back in and see if it turns smoothly. It should unless a jammed blade did some other damage. Then it may be time for the Delta repair shop.

Jason Quick
09-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Jason, I think that there is a chance that the blade is too one side or the eother.(...)

Yep, that got it! It was so obvious, I couldn't figure it out! Duh! :o

Thanks!
Jason