PDA

View Full Version : Walker Turner drill press

Brian Akers
04-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Going to go look at a Walker Turner drill press this afternoon. It's a type 3 before it was part of the rockwell division. Guy is asking $175 but has no history on it. A guy that just buys and sells. He said it works fine but that doesn't mean much to me. Have no idea of the play in the quill, or if any bearings have been replaced. But it looks to be in decent shape.
Thoughts on that price?

Harold Weaver
04-05-2016, 11:32 AM
Price is not bad if it's a floor model. But as always, condition, condition, condition and completeness. Missing parts can be a problem with some of the older Walker Turners. Quill bearings and motor bearings on most of the older machines are fairly straight forward and not too difficult. Given its age, you can almost bank on new bearings. Check for casting breaks as well. Look it over really good. If it is completed with good original motor that runs and not too many rigged up components, I'd say that $175.00 is pretty fair. Cosmetic issues like paint can easily be rectified with a little elbow grease. oh, and make sure you check the table for flatness and the dreaded arc of shame. If the arc is really bad, I'd pass. Too difficult to source another table and too much work to try and fix one with a million holes drilled into it.

Brian Akers
04-05-2016, 11:39 AM
Price is not bad if it's a floor model. But as always, condition, condition, condition and completeness. Missing parts can be a problem with some of the older Walker Turners. Quill bearings and motor bearings on most of the older machines are fairly straight forward and not too difficult. Given its age, you can almost bank on new bearings. Check for casting breaks as well. Look it over really good. If it is completed with good original motor that runs and not too many rigged up components, I'd say that $175.00 is pretty fair. Cosmetic issues like paint can easily be rectified with a little elbow grease. oh, and make sure you check the table for flatness and the dreaded arc of shame. If the arc is really bad, I'd pass. Too difficult to source another table and too much work to try and fix one with a million holes drilled into it.

It does look to be complete. Here's a photo. I'll take a straight edge with me.

John Gustafson
04-05-2016, 12:57 PM
That sure does not appear to be an original table. Not sure what an original table looked like, but photo's over in the vintage equipment site make me suspicious thats this one is home mede.

Bruce Page
04-05-2016, 1:43 PM
That sure does not appear to be an original table. Not sure what an original table looked like, but photo's over in the vintage equipment site make me suspicious thats this one is home mede.
Doing a quick Google Image search it looks like a WT table to me. The gusset under the table is a shadow.

Matt Day
04-05-2016, 3:00 PM
I wouldnt rig it that way, but does having a fork under the motor a problem?

Brian Akers
04-05-2016, 3:51 PM
Well it's non issue now. Told the guy I was an hour away, he said ok. Got there and a guy was loading on the truck... sold it right before I got there. Oh well that's Craigslist for ya. First come first serve