PDA

View Full Version : Wentworth No3 saw vise

Tomi Rosso
04-05-2016, 8:44 AM
Hi,

I just get new saw vise. Could anybody tell me little bit more about it. Where was that manufacturer and when these are made? And some other interesting info of those. I try google, but I can't find much about Wentworth company. Is there any website where info can be found? Patent date Apr.8.79 is mentioned at casting.

I want to do little bit age estamation to this and I need more information that I can manage.

I think it's quite nice condition.

Rick Whitehead
04-05-2016, 9:24 AM
Since you have a patent date, you can look it up in DATAMP- the Directory of American Tool and Machinery Patents. It is a valuable source of information.
Here is a link to information on the Wentworth saw vise- http://www.datamp.org/patents/displayPatent.php?pn=214071&id=13275.
It states that it was produced by the Seneca Falls Manufacturing Company of Seneca Falls, New York and the Edward P Stearns Co. of Syracuse, New York.
Rick

Brent Cutshall
04-05-2016, 8:20 PM
Ah, the Wentworth no.3, my first saw vise. That C-clamp thingy on the back attaches it to whatever will fit in it, so it's very portable. The lever on the front opens and closes it. Turn it counterclockwise to tighten and the other way to loosen it. Wentworth was just the style Stearns and the others fashioned those particular vises after. Stearns was a very good brand for saw sharpening equip.

Glen Canaday
04-05-2016, 10:03 PM
I have a no name version of that. It's identical except that there is no brand cast into it anywhere, just "NO 3."

I've used it, but when I finally finish my bench I have an idea for holding saws to it for sharpening. The vises I find are just too short most of the time.

Mel Fulks
04-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Don't know how many saw vise brands I've seen,but it's a bunch. No drastic differences in them, but they all have their own patent numbers. Might as well grant a patent to everyone who ever cooked a hot dog on a "modified" coat hanger.

Tomi Rosso
04-06-2016, 4:35 AM
That's handy link. Thank you. That helps perhaps little bit searching, but if someone knows more, I am willingly to hear.

That patent seems to be little upgrade to locking mechanism, so probably it just like Mel says. Every manufacturer make little change and patented that "old saw vise" again.

Does anybody knows is that catalog (1891 Seneca Falls Mfg Co. Catalog #13), which is Patent picture number two, in electrical format somewhere in internet? That could be interesting to see.

Tomi Rosso
04-06-2016, 5:41 AM
Nice.....

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/734/356.pdf