PDA

View Full Version : Filler paint

Conrad Fiore
04-05-2016, 8:28 AM
Does anyone else use the Keeler & Long Wipe-In filler?

We have been using that paint for over 50 years and there was nothing like it when it came to durability, low shrinkage and clean-up. However the company that made it was located in CT and some years ago was bought up by PPG and that location closed and had to be purchased through a PPG distributor.
We had always purchased the paint in quarts and even a-way-back-then, it was very expensive, but worth the cost. Over the past few years it had become increasingly more expensive since being sold by PPG, but since we had never found an equal substitute we continued to purchase it with the last quart purchased in 2012 costing $280.00.
Well I recently contacted PPG for another quart and was told that it was now only available in gallon quantities at a price of, are you ready for this, $600.00.

So has anyone else ever used this product and have you found a suitable substitute?

John Blazy
04-05-2016, 9:55 AM
On a similar note, I am looking into making my own filler paint. I always loved the reactive acrylic cement for bonding acrylic without bubbles, crystal clear etc because its a two part cement (Weld-on 40, or Acryfix Versatile).

So I am planning on cutting some tree branch shapes into clear acrylic with the laser, then filling the "branches" with black, so I can then bond the panel to acrylic mirror, bonding against the filled face.

So my plan is to scrape some of the black pigment out of the bottom of my black lacquer bucket (since the pigments settle out down there all the time), and mix it into a small batch of the reactive cement, then grout it into the cavities. Then after it shrinks a little, I will mix a bit more over top, then sand flush, then bond. The small amount of lacquer binder and solvent should react into the matrix. Otherwise, I will use some powdered graphite. If anyone has pure pigment in an acrylate monomer, that would be best.

If anyone has done this, let me know if Im on the right track. Otherwise, I plan to do this in a few days and post my success (or failure). Instant wipe in filling paint. The cement is 38 bucks for 16 oz, and I currently buy it in gallon for 100 bucks. Cheaper than Conrad's PPG source, and is nearly 100% solids.

Joe Pelonio
04-07-2016, 10:02 PM
While I have used 1-Shot (about $20/pint) for many projects in the past. Recently, for just filling engraved or vector single-line engraved acrylic, I have been using the 99 cent acrylic paint in the little bottles from the craft stores. It's held up fine, in fact I have done many repeat orders for this customer, 75 pieces at a time.

Mike Null
04-08-2016, 7:38 AM
My experience is like Joe's. The hobby stuff works for my projects and I can always find a color match. I do use a different paint for gold fills and it is a bit more expensive but provides a beautiful rich finish. It is called Precious Metals and is $5 for a 1.75 oz. jar. That's quite expensive but I am very pleased with the result.

Bert Kemp
04-08-2016, 11:45 AM
I also use the water base acrylic paints from hobby lobby or Michael's they work just fine, I really like the metallic paints, very bright.

Jeff Belany
04-08-2016, 2:31 PM
Mike,

Amazon wants $11.75 shipped for that paint. I assume that it will last for some time.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Mike Null
04-08-2016, 3:19 PM
Jeff

It comes in a wide flat jar and there is waste so it's even more expensive but I get mine at Hobby Lobby.

Kev Williams
04-08-2016, 5:35 PM
Always used Testor's model enamel. And it has to be the stuff in the small square bottles. Whatever they put in the round bottles isn't the same stuff...