PDA

View Full Version : Sanding sealer question

Robert Engel
04-05-2016, 8:12 AM
Is this the same thing as shellac?

I have a cherry project planned and I've never finished cherry, so I'm looking for advice.

I've heard its a good idea to use a sanding sealer on cherry to reduce blotching.

Jim Becker
04-05-2016, 9:27 AM
Sanding sealer is just a finish with more solids in it and is a nice way for the finish manufacturers to make more money. You can get the same effect with just your intended finish and save the cost of buying something else. That's not to say that a sealing (barrier) coat of finish isn't sometimes necessary to in sure a product, such as a dye, isn't altered by a subsequent finish that uses the same solvent. Many of us use de-waxed shellac for that purpose. The one exception is that for solvent-based lacquers where a higher initial build is required, the sanding sealer version of the product being used for top coats (always the same brand should be used) will provide that build and be compatible with subsequent finish coats. Solvent-based lacquers are not the best idea for small shops without proper formal finishing facilities and safety accommodations, however.

As to cherry and "blotch"...that's a whole 'nuther conversation. One person's "blotch" is another person's "lovely figure". I'm in the latter camp, but respect that some folks don't like the effect...which by the way, mitigates itself over time as the cherry oxidizes and gets darker overall. You can use a simple very light cut of de-waxed shellac to "seal" so that the oil of an oil based finish doesn't penetrate and "blotch". There's no "need" to buy a special product for this, but some folks like alternative "blotch control" products which have been mentioned here in the forum a number of times.

Rich Engelhardt
04-05-2016, 9:29 AM
Sanding sealer is a fast drying product that allows a professional to apply a seal coat and finish coat of material all within an 8 hour shift/day.
That's it....it's not some dark attempt of a manufacturer to "rip people off".
If you don't have a time constraint, then you don't really need a sanding sealer...

What it won't do, is control blotch...

Shellac - - more specific, a 1 or 2 pound cut dewaxed shellac, can help alleviate blotch. It has to be both things though or you might run into either compatibility issues, or, a surface too well sealed that it won't accept a stain or dye - or - - both.

Cherry responds very well to oil and/or oil modified products.
I'm just now finishing up a cherry kitchen that I used this stuff on (http://www.lowes.com/pd_273845-678-710320000_1z0uavh__?productId=999914351&pl=1). Worked like a champ! No blotch, nice even finish, fairly quick dry & low odor.