PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Clamping Bentwood Cylinder

Dave Easley
04-05-2016, 5:30 AM
Greetings Everybody,

As part of my next project I need to make what amounts to a cylinder, or ring, using bentwood lamination. I want to use my vacuum pump & bag to clamp it up, and would like to do it all at once, as opposed to making two half-cylinders (ie semi-circular arcs) and gluing them together. I don’t know if this is possible though, so I thought I’d run my idea by you all to see what you think, and maybe get some advice. I am new to vacuum clamping.

I plan to resaw some walnut into thin strips, each about 6 inches high and 6 feet long, and scarf the ends of each strip. I’ll take the first strip, bend it around my cylindrical form, glue the scarfed ends together, and put tape at the joint to hold them temporarily until the second strip is installed. Then I’ll apply glue to the inside of the second strip, bend it around the first, remove the tape from the first, and temporarily tape the second strip in place.This will give me a cylinder two layers thick. I’ll repeat until I get the required number of layers. Then I’ll have my cylindrical form wrapped in my desired walnut bentwood cylinder. All this will have to be done pretty quickly so the glue doesn’t set up before it’s clamped. Of course, if I can’t do this fast enough I could always glue up a few layers at a time.

Next, I’ll wrap the cylinder assembly in breather mesh, put it in my vacuum bag, and use the vacuum pump to clamp it all together.

One immediate concern is whether the vacuum clamping technique will allow the scarfed ends to slide over each other to make a nice, tight cylinder. I thought I’d try the whole process without glue first, to see what happens, ie will it just buckle or will it work.

I know the cylinder can be made by making two half cylinders and then gluing them together, but I’d prefer doing it all at once if that’s possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone,
Dave

Jamie Buxton
04-05-2016, 10:28 AM
I once made a cherry plywood cylinder about 6" diameter by 15" long. I used standard commercial sliced veneer. I didn't use your scarfed joinery. Instead, I wound each strip of veneer in a spiral on to the form. Successive layers wound in different directions -- clockwise, then counterclockwise, etc. The ends of each strip ran wild, and I trimmed the ends after glue-up. IIRC, my cylinder had five layers, but it might have been seven. Although I have a vacuum bag, I didn't think it was going to be much help. I just wrapped each layer on, pulled it tight, and taped it into place. The bending force kept the veneer tight to the form.

The biggest problem turned to be getting the cylinder off the bending form. All that tight-wrapping made the cylinder grip the form very very tightly. I had to glue blocks to the outside of the cylinder in the waste area to have something to pound on while I was trying to slide the cylinder off the form. If I were to build another of these, I'd design in some way to "deflate" the bending form. Maybe build the form, then cut it into two wedge shapes, and screw them back together. To deflate the form, unscrew the two halves, and drive them past each other.

Dave Easley
04-05-2016, 4:22 PM
Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't even thought the cylinder getting stuck on the from. Your idea of a "deflatable" form sounds like a simple, effective way to solve the problem.
Dave

Keith Westfall
04-06-2016, 1:53 AM
You don't say how big your cylinder is...

For a strong clamping action on things (where you can) try black electrical tape. Stretch it a bit and things will be down tight.

Dave Easley
04-06-2016, 4:50 AM
Hi Keith,

The cylinder will be just under 2 feet in diameter. The electrical tape sounds like a good idea. There exists a heat-shrink electrical tape which might give even more clamping force. I'll have to do a few trials using scrap lumber to see how it works.

Thanks for your suggestion,
Dave

Dick Strauss
04-06-2016, 10:51 AM
The cylindrical form can also be made of three or more peices of wood where the middle section is knocked out to help relieve pressure on the outside diameter during form removal....