PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a good toaster

Stephen Tashiro
04-05-2016, 2:41 AM
I need to buy a new toaster. What's a good one? (- a modern one that can still be purchased, please)

Jim Becker
04-05-2016, 9:06 AM
We haven't had a "traditional" (pop-up) type toaster for decades; rather, we use a good quality toaster oven that is a lot more versatile. And nothing gets stuck in the non-existent slots, either... :) In addition to toasting, it's a nice little convection oven, etc., too, which is nice when you want to do something small without heating up the whole kitchen from the larger oven on the range.

Dick Strauss
04-05-2016, 9:38 AM
We received a T-fal wide slot toaster as a gift. The idea was great but the lights to tell you what setting you are on started to fail shortly after 90 days. The toasting is also inconsistent. So we would NOT recommend T-fal. You might want to read this pagefor some ideas depending on your budget http://rickandkathy.com/2014/05/toasters-cooks-illustrated-vs-consumer-reports-vs-the-queen/

roger wiegand
04-05-2016, 10:38 AM
Nothing better than the classic Toastmaster. Fast, perfect toast.

There are a few hundred available on Ebay right now, so readily available. There are a couple of guys who refurbish them to like new.

Brett Luna
04-05-2016, 11:03 AM
We like our Breville Ikon 4-slice toaster.

Bill Bukovec
04-05-2016, 1:28 PM
McMaster has a nice one for $150.00.

Evan Patton
04-05-2016, 6:38 PM
After years of using a toaster oven exclusively, we picked up a KitchenAid 2-slice toaster for ~$40 (or less?). Toasts more uniformly than the toaster over, and does a great job on English muffins and bagels. I miss having the toaster oven occasionally for heating up pizza, etc., but in general I prefer the toaster.

Rich Riddle
04-05-2016, 8:59 PM
I have my grandparents Sunbeam T-20 and make toast about four days a week with it. You can find the T-20 through T-40 models on eBay all the time for about the same price as a new toaster. My Sunbeam has lasted about seventy years. That variety is the type where you simply place the bread in and it both automatically lowers and raises.

Myk Rian
04-05-2016, 9:17 PM
I looked for a toaster last December. The one we had toasted everything like a bagel.
Looked for a Breville, but couldn't find one. Went to Bed-Bath_Beyond and got an OXO. What a difference.
It's weird. You plug it in and it boots up. But it does a great job as a toaster. It better for the price I paid for it.

Mel Fulks
04-05-2016, 9:34 PM
Agree with SUNBEAM. I have several of them. Marvels of US superiority !! My wife insisted we retire my best one because it ceased to drop the bread automatically. Subsequently I saw on line that they anticipated the problem and have an easily accessible adjustment screw for the connoisseurs of fine machinery to drop the bread to perfect depths! Looking forward to eating GOOD toast again! And they are chrome ...not brushed aluminum .

James Baker SD
04-06-2016, 1:06 AM
My complaint with almost all modern toasters (all that I know of) is that they only brown the surface of the bread, they do not dry it out inside. Ages ago when I was a kid we had a toaster that had separate controls for darkness and dryness. Best toaster ever made, but alas it died 40 years ago. I drug it out of the dumpster when my dad tossed it thinking someday I would try to repair it. Still have it hidden away waiting for that day to come, been about 40 years now since it worked.

My compromise was a brown only toaster that was not an automatic popup but has a manual lift/lower lever. I run it once to get it hot, leave the bread down inside to dry out, then turn it on again for final darkening. Raise the bread out only after the second run. Gives me what I want, but not particularly fast or convenient.

Stephen Tashiro
04-06-2016, 2:25 AM
After reading Amazon reviews, I concluded all toasters that I'm likely to find in local stores are bad. So I went to Target and bought a Black and Decker 4 slice toaster. Yep, it is bad. It already had crumbs in it and the lever on the right half of the unit won't stay down when depressed. It also has a disgusting smell when it toasts - something like a combination of dried flowers and machine oil. Amazon reviews complain about the smell and the problem with the lever. Getting to complain about Target's restocking practices is an unexpected bonus to a pessimist like me.

Don Morris
04-06-2016, 2:28 AM
We have a Calphalon brand two hole toaster. I believe they make a four hole, but LOML didn't want the larger unit. We've had several other brands and this is the first one which toasts evenly, and accurately according to your dial preference. It does bagels well too. I most heartily recommend it. No doubt in my mind that a toaster/oven might be able to do the job also, but again, LOML isn't happy with the footprint of those larger units on the counter. They take too much room. Plus, we have other appliances which do the job of the oven part better. I'd be tempted to try an OXO because they seem to sell only top quality kitchen things. We tried the Breville (Aurtralian, I believe), wan't happy with it.

Curt Harms
04-06-2016, 8:16 AM
I looked for a toaster last December. The one we had toasted everything like a bagel.
Looked for a Breville, but couldn't find one. Went to Bed-Bath_Beyond and got an OXO. What a difference.
It's weird. You plug it in and it boots up. But it does a great job as a toaster. It better for the price I paid for it.

IoT (Internet of Things err Toasters) Does it have WiFi?:D.

roger wiegand
04-06-2016, 8:38 AM
The Dualit is pretty much the ultimate semi-modern toaster (no internet) if you really want a new toaster. They work great, but for $250-300 they better! I stand with the 50+ year old Sunbeam Toastmaster as by far the best buy for a quality toaster today.

Myk Rian
04-06-2016, 12:10 PM
IoT (Internet of Things err Toasters) Does it have WiFi?:D.
No. But it might have Bluetooth. Haven't checked that yet. :rolleyes:

Dan Hulbert
04-06-2016, 1:36 PM
Couple of years ago, my wife went on search for the"perfect" toaster. After months of looking at everything available locally and reading nearly every review on the internet, we ended up at our local Restaurant supply house and bought a commercial toaster. Looks like the kind you see at the "free breakfast bar" at motels. She figured that if it could handle tourists, it should be able to hold up to the two of us.

It's built like a tank and weighs nearly as much, but she is happy with it. I expect it to be an heirloom for our kids to fight over.

Evan Patton
04-10-2016, 10:44 PM
Couple of years ago, my wife went on search for the"perfect" toaster. After months of looking at everything available locally and reading nearly every review on the internet, we ended up at our local Restaurant supply house and bought a commercial toaster. Looks like the kind you see at the "free breakfast bar" at motels. She figured that if it could handle tourists, it should be able to hold up to the two of us.

It's built like a tank and weighs nearly as much, but she is happy with it. I expect it to be an heirloom for our kids to fight over.
Those make great toast--very uniform, and heavy duty NiCr elements to last a long time. Congrats!

Dan Hulbert
04-11-2016, 8:35 AM
Finally remembered to check the brand. The toaster is made by HATCO. It's a 4 slice commercial model and works like a champ. Even the crumb trays are stainless steel.

Tom Stenzel
04-12-2016, 8:18 PM
I have my grandparents Sunbeam T-20 and make toast about four days a week with it. You can find the T-20 through T-40 models on eBay all the time for about the same price as a new toaster. My Sunbeam has lasted about seventy years. That variety is the type where you simply place the bread in and it both automatically lowers and raises.

I grew up with one of those in the house, was bought in the early '50's. I ended up with it. Sometime in the '80's, it started acting up. Took it apart and found the electric contact was burned. Since I wanted to fix it, I took it to a friend's house who could gold plate the contact. We were surprised to find the contacts were about as thick as a dime, a 1/3 inch in diameter, and made of nearly pure silver! Fixing it was a snap, no plating needed. Built to last forever.

My wife didn't share my love of the old toaster, we now have a B&D toaster-toaster/convection oven. It works OK as an oven but takes forever to make toast.

Funny story- After growing up with the Sunbeam toaster in my family, my older brother was at his girlfriend's house (later to become his wife) and went to make toast. He dropped the bread in the slots, and waited...and waited. His girlfriend looked at him- "Gee, don't you know how to run a toaster?". And pushed the lever down on the side. :D

-Tom