PDA

View Full Version : MT hand reamer

Curtis Myers
04-04-2016, 8:12 PM
Looking to clean up tail stock #2 morse taper. I got a little burr in there which has my head and tail misaligned a little bit.
I do not have any experiance purchasing or using a reamer. I think I'm looking for a #2 morse taper hand finish reamer.
Anyone know where to get one that will not brake the bank or advise on using one?

all the best
curt

Allan Ferguson
04-04-2016, 8:22 PM
Try ENCO. You could use mine but it is a rather long drive.

Clint Bach
04-04-2016, 8:30 PM
Grizzly sells them... T10291

Ronald Blue
04-04-2016, 9:44 PM
Can you feel the burr? Normally if there is enough of a burr to cause an alignment issue there will be a problem getting the tapers to seat and lock together. What do you think caused the burr?

Marvin Hasenak
04-04-2016, 10:02 PM
I found them the cheapest at Victor Tools. http://www.victornet.com/subdepartments/Morse-Taper-Reamers/2549.html

Brice Rogers
04-04-2016, 11:49 PM
I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but I've wrapped some fairly fine sandpaper (like 320 grit) around an MT2 shaft and carefully rotated it to remove a burr and to polish things up. If the burr is far enough to the outboard end of the taper, you might be able to reach it with a fine jeweler's file and some careful strokes.

Curtis Myers
04-05-2016, 10:36 AM
Can you feel the burr? Normally if there is enough of a burr to cause an alignment issue there will be a problem getting the tapers to seat and lock together. What do you think caused the burr?

I had a tailstock reversing adapter that had a 1" long morse taper. 1" was not long enough to self eject. One time it got jammed on and I had to beat it out. I now have a reversing adapter that is long enough to engage the self eject.

Steve Peterson
04-05-2016, 12:21 PM
I had a tailstock reversing adapter that had a 1" long morse taper. 1" was not long enough to self eject. One time it got jammed on and I had to beat it out. I now have a reversing adapter that is long enough to engage the self eject.

I had a tool that wouldn't eject from the self-eject on my lathe. It had a tapped thread on the back, so I added a bolt and ground down the head a bit. It works perfectly now.

Steve