PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw optimized for curve with occasional resaw

Matthew Springer
04-04-2016, 3:31 PM
Gang,
SWMBO has approved a bandsaw purchase! I will _eventually_ be buying an MM16 or something similar in the distant future (a couple years). So I'll eventually be going over to a two saw setup (I'm mostly a neanderthal, so that'll happen about the same time I ditch the TS).

In the meantime, I would love some help spending money on a medium range bandsaw that'll hold me over for a while. I'm mostly looking at something optimized around ease of use, cutting curves and shaping over brute force and resawing. The plan is to use all manner of blades until the second saw arrives and then leave a 1/8 or 1/4 blade on it all the time for pattern cutting and curves.

There are basically no used tools anywhere near me, so I'm planning on buying new. I do have 220v and will be doing the DC hookup as part of this.

I've been looking at the Rikon 18" or the Laguna 14"bx 220, both on sale at the moment. I've also been looking at the Jet 18 but that's at the top end of the price range.

Erik Loza
04-04-2016, 3:42 PM
If you're going to spring for the big machine in a couple of years, I would spend as little as possible in the meantime. What about a used 14" or 18" machine?

Erik

John TenEyck
04-04-2016, 3:53 PM
If you are going to buy a MM16 in a couple of years and your long term use for this saw is cutting curves with dinky blades, why are you considering a Rikon 18"? Makes no sense to me. The Laguna would be a better choice IMO, although I'd still question the need for the MM16 if you get that. Or get the Laguna 14SUV and be done with it. Another option would be to get a wood/metal BS, something like the Grizzly G0621X. I have a wood/metal BS and wouldn't want to be w/o it. And then you'd be all set after you get the MM16 or another larger saw.

John

Mike Cutler
04-04-2016, 7:08 PM
Matthew

Unless I'm reading your post incorrectly, you're looking for a saw primarily for "curvy" type work, and not re-sawing. Correct? If so, any of the 14" Delta clones will do that, and in the end you would have a two saws. One for "curvy type work, and one for the more "brutish" tasks.

I don't think I'd be looking at new18" saws, unless I had a long term plan. That's a lot of $$$ that could be put toward your final purchase. Don't get me wrong, I have an 18" Rikon, and it's been a great saw, but it's still quite a few $$$$.

Craigslist, for the Boulder area, shows a few 14" Delta clones for sale.

Dan Friedrichs
04-04-2016, 7:24 PM
Are you really in Boulder? Lots of good stuff on Denver CL.

Otherwise, I second John's suggestion - buy an Laguna 14SUV and be done. If you're set on never changing blades, though, find a Delta 14" on craigslist.