PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have a Universal Laser?

Ed Lang
09-16-2005, 1:52 PM
If you have or had one please post or PM your opinion.

Thanks

Lee DeRaud
09-16-2005, 2:48 PM
Versalaser here (25W, 12"x16"), had it about six months, no complaints. Note: I am not a professional engraver: I'm using it mainly as a computerized scrollsaw.

Great dealer service, but be advised that ULS has kind of a two-tier support system: full-up distributors (very good) and resellers (maybe not so good). So your level of support can vary based on who you buy your machine from.

Pete Thomas
09-16-2005, 9:53 PM
I bought a used Univeral 60W X-660 laser on E-bay about a month ago. It was only 3 years old and after a little cleanup looks like new. I saved $10-12K over buying new. I called Universal tech support and got the latest drivers and pdf manuals as well as the local sales rep. So far the system is running great, really looks like not much can go wrong. The tech support have been very helpful even though I didn't have that many questions.

The only thing I wonder is how much power am I really getting out. I'm wondering is there a simple way to get a ball park check. I compared cutting a sheet of paper with a freind who has a Explorer II 35 W system. I'm a faily techinical person and plan on adding air assit as the system did not have that option.

-pete

Robert Stremcha
09-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Your rep, or possibly even Universal, should be able to rent/loan you a laser power meter.:cool:

Peter Vasic
09-17-2005, 7:58 AM
Universal....a good machine...however so are Laser pro / pinnacle / Epilog / Gravograph / Xenetech / etc etc etc.....

None of them are worth thousands more for the equivalent model than the other..so if the the 30 w Epilog is ( fictional figure) $ 30,000 and the Pinnacle is $20,000 ...dont fall for the old you get what you pay for routine....it doesnt work in this instance....one is ripping you off big time....

But....

If you dont get good support, very good honest support....that figure will be burnt up in your first major disaster....It is true and you will be crying as your business is closed down and you have no way to repay your commitments.....

It is as simple and unequivocal as that....do not buy simply on price...unless you have a proven service commitment and an honest and forthright company that backs their product....

we were caught by a local ( australian supplier ) of a US product that walked away from us when the product failed big time and the software went thru 7 dongles in the same time...it cost us over $ 15,000 and they told us we were on our own, when the machinery supplied wasnt fit for purpose.....

so lessons were learnt, but we know we have persuaded now 9 machines to other laser suppliers ( that is around $ 500,000 in lost sales to the local distributor )....that is a shame, because the product we bought has a good name in the USA...it now functions as well as it should have when we purchased it....but it cost us... and it isnt a big deal to the manufacturers of that particular laser..well quite frankly...because Oz isnt perceived to be such a big market....

So....buy on service/ reputation and...and above all else..Written guarantee.

Price wasnt our final consideration...but we werent aware of the unscrupulous manner the supplier would deal with us, should we have a machine that failed .( we were actually told he would back us to the hilt)...until the machine failed to deliver as promised, .......

so buy on service....not price......if you have no idea and are simply cashed up with x amount of dollars and arent too fussed about who will sell you a machine...and dont have a service committment from someone........

Good luck...but more so...Sucked in buddy !

regards

Peter

Victoria Larsen
09-21-2005, 9:21 AM
Hi Ed,

I've owned a Universal Laser for over 15 years.
My first is still running like a breeze and was bought new from the company in Scottsdale.
My second was a used model and larger from usedlasers.com (Access Used Lasers). Paid 11,000.00 and had trouble with it since the day it arrived. It has just never run right.
The service at Universal used to be wonderful when George Wendell was there but they let him go. The guys that have in the tech dept. now don't know their stuff. They had me sink thousands in to this machine with NO result what so ever (of course you can't get your money back when their resolutions don't work!... belts, motors, axis bars, mother boards).
The machine runs worse now than it did before.

Yesterday, I ordered a brand new Pinnacle for 10,500.00 including shipping. Bigger bed, longer service warranty, pass through door, 25 watt and everything I need.

I'm not unhappy with my Universals, I am just believing now that there is equipment out there that will do the same thing for thousands less! If I bought the same machine through Universal it would have cost me nearly 10,000.00 more!

Good luck to you.

Victoria

Mike Mackenzie
09-21-2005, 1:47 PM
Victoria,

I am sorry to here about your problem with the Used Universal. Perhaps we can help you we have been working on these systems for more than 15 years. let me know what the problem is and we can help you to correct it ( I can guarantee it).