PDA

View Full Version : What is Titebond II Shelf Life?

Joe Beaulieu
04-03-2016, 4:52 PM
Hey Y'all

About 15 years ago I was about to start a larger project and had run out of my 3rd bottle of glue in a year, so I had the bright idea to buy a gallon jug because I could save a couple of bucks. Naturally, and as Mr. Murphy states in one of his laws, I got transferred to the west coast from Massachusetts the next day, and I never started that project. THe bottle sat in my Bay Area garage - meaning it never dropped much below about 35 degrees and never went much above 90 degrees for any extended period. Giotta love the weather here.

For whatever reason I didn't get my shop set up until relatively recently. So now I have a gallon of Titebond II that is unopened, and I am wondering if there is any chance it is still good. I suppose I could just try to glue something with it, but that would be way too logical. Its more fun to ask you guys. Also - if its no good, is it a hazmat? What is the scoop on how to dispose of this stuff?

Thanks Folks - I very much appreciate the help.

Joe

Frederick Skelly
04-03-2016, 4:59 PM
Man Joe, if you've had it 15 yrs, I'd say there's no real way to tell. Even sealed, that's gotta be way outside the average shelf life. I think you're gonna have to run a test and see.

Chris Fournier
04-03-2016, 5:01 PM
PVAs usually have a 12 month shelf life, I've squeezed out more than that but my storage area is optimal. 15 years no go! I would take it to a hazardous goods transfer station or simply spread it out on news print and let it dry then chuck it.

Cody Colston
04-03-2016, 5:11 PM
It would be good for sealing the ends of logs or planks.

Prashun Patel
04-03-2016, 5:42 PM
Try to use it. If it dries and hardens and your two test pieces hold together under stress, then I would be comfortable using it.

Cody Colston
04-03-2016, 8:19 PM
Rather than speculate I went to the Titebond site. According to their specs, Titebond II has a 24 month shelf life in a tightly closed container at 75 degrees.

Jerry Miner
04-03-2016, 8:57 PM
I would toss it. The cost of glue --as a percentage of everything that goes into a woodworking project-- is so slight, that I wouldn't want to risk using 15-year-old glue.

Disposal: my understanding is that the chemistry of PVA is similar to that of latex paint, so disposal would be similar.

Prashun Patel
04-03-2016, 9:15 PM
I am dubious of shelf lives. As a manufacturer of chemical products i know much of it is butt covering vs the reality of whether the product is actually useful. I would test it yourself.

Bruce Wrenn
04-03-2016, 9:24 PM
How much is a new gallon of TBII. Do we need to do a "crowd source funding" to buy you some. At 15 years old, I'm tight, but not that tight. I quit buying gallons several years back despite building cabinets for local Y's.

John Stankus
04-03-2016, 9:46 PM
How much is a new gallon of TBII. Do we need to do a "crowd source funding" to buy you some. At 15 years old, I'm tight, but not that tight. I quit buying gallons several years back despite building cabinets for local Y's.

$18 on Amazon $24.50 woodcraft for gallons

As a chemist I prefer smaller bottles more frequently, than one big volume. This does a couple things
1. You are more likely to have fresher materials
2. There will be less exposure to air over time

I have had some bottles go for years, but I have also had a bottle turn translucent orange in situ.
There was a thread about date codes some time ago

Mike Henderson
04-03-2016, 9:53 PM
I would toss it. The cost of glue --as a percentage of everything that goes into a woodworking project-- is so slight, that I wouldn't want to risk using 15-year-old glue.

Disposal: my understanding is that the chemistry of PVA is similar to that of latex paint, so disposal would be similar.

I agree ^^^^. It's just not enough money to take the chance. If joints start to give way, you'll have a mess on your hands.

Mike

Ben Rivel
04-03-2016, 10:46 PM
Just throw it out and buy a new one. Why risk it?

Andrew Hughes
04-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Don't throw it out it still can be used for building throw away jigs and fixtures.Ya know stuff that needs glue but you don't expect it to last.
I have a gallon jug of TB3 that's watered down and clumpy.I find lots of uses.
I also buy fresh glue for every build.

Bill Orbine
04-04-2016, 7:17 AM
Good glue is suppose to be stronger than the wood... glue up a couple pieces and after a couple days try break the joint. If most of wood splinters, the glue should be good. If clean break along glue line, no good. But I suspect the glue mix will be inconsistent.... watery with globs, therefore not suitable for fine woodworking.

lowell holmes
04-04-2016, 8:21 AM
I might point out, where do you send a 15 year old gallon of glue. Not to the landfill I trust. :)

I'm glad I don't have the problem.

Chris Fournier
04-04-2016, 9:42 AM
If you open the jug and pour it out you will find that it has separated. The top will be thin and runny, the bottom will be like a brick. I found this out from a jug that was almost five years old.

Steve Peterson
04-04-2016, 11:56 AM
I had 3/4 of a gallon of yellow wood glue sitting around for about 10 years. It may have been exposed to a temperature range of around 30F to 110F. The top surface had formed a thick dark orange skin and everything else was much thicker than normal.

I cut open the container and poured it into a pile of sawdust. When it was dry, I threw it in the trash.

Steve