PDA

View Full Version : Mild Allergic Reaction to Dust... When Hand Sawing/Planing?!

Luke Dupont
04-03-2016, 12:33 PM
I've been noticing now, in the last month, that I get a bit of an allergic reaction (runny nose and the like) when working with wood. And, this is using hand tools. Very occasionally I will use a small jig-saw or powered drill, but even that is a rarity, and I use eye protection and a dustmask when using the jigsaw.

I don't like this. I don't want to be allergic to wood! And, I'm rather concerned that this happens with hand-tools, even. Has anyone else experienced this? I first experienced it when working some exotic hardwood, and then with some cedar, and now I seem to experience it with most wood that I work to some degree or another. Generally, this occurs when hand-planing (especially rough lumber), but has come to be more common with hand sawing and even planing smooth boards.

I was under the impression that all of this was something that, generally, you didn't have to worry about with hand tools. Is it an indication that my "allergy" is rather severe? Or, could it be that the dust is just aggravating my already existing allergies? I'm fairly allergic to dust mites, and live in a fully carpeted apartment, so that doesn't help.

Most importantly, I don't want to make this "allergy," if that's what it is, to grow worse. I'd like to continue working with wood, and not develop a debilitating allergic response when doing so. But I also don't intend to strap on a face mask for everything I do anything with hand tools.

I realize you guys aren't allergists, but most of you have been working wood much longer than myself. Half of my reason for asking this, I guess, is to see if this is normal (for such a small amount of dust to cause allergy symptoms), and I shouldn't be worried, or if I indeed should be concerned. One plus is that I do not seem to have any issue with skin-contact when it comes to dust, as I've read can be an issue/symptom. But, I definitely tend to stuff up any time I work now.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-03-2016, 1:29 PM
I get far more sawdust in my nose when cutting things like dovetails than I do from the table saw since I do not have dust collection on my dovetail saw. I sometimes wear a mask because of this.

Luke Dupont
04-03-2016, 1:47 PM
I get far more sawdust in my nose when cutting things like dovetails than I do from the table saw since I do not have dust collection on my dovetail saw. I sometimes wear a mask because of this.

Ah, really? I guess I do have my face right up on my work most of the time, as I like to work accurately.
Maybe I'll try to use masks when sweeping/cleaning up, or working right up close to a piece.

So, is what I'm experiencing just "normal"?

Paul Phillis
04-03-2016, 5:43 PM
I get a contact dermititis with some woods. Mostly where dust accumulates with perspiration, wrist and inside elbows. You can get barrier creams for skin complaints, stops dust making contact. I use fexofenadine, for hay fever, to keep respiratory irritations at bay.

Chris Parks
04-03-2016, 7:51 PM
You need to move the air to get rid of the dust. Dust extraction for hand tool work sounds extreme but if it is needed then go for it. Large extractor fans to change the air in the workshop might be enough and certainly worth trying.

Phil Mueller
04-03-2016, 8:00 PM
Sorry to hear Luke. Sanding and sawing can get to me as well. I bought a small shop dust filter and from the looks of the filter, it seems to be doing a good job cleaning the air. After a period of raising a bit of dust, I let the filter run on high for a few hours and leave the workroom. You may also want to consider Woodcraft's bench top filter. You place it right next to your work.

glenn bradley
04-03-2016, 8:50 PM
I wear a mask when doing hand work as I am right on top of the action. The exception might be hand planing. When using machines the DC takes care of it and I have no trouble. Hand sawing, scraping or sanding with a block; if I don't wear a mask I get a splitting sinus headache.

Stanley Covington
04-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Do you have this reaction with all woods or just some? Some woods are more prone to cause reactions. Most people react (and some get very ill) when exposed to rosewood dust, for instance. Some people can't tolerate walnut.

If you know what woods cause a reaction, you can avoid them

Allan Speers
04-03-2016, 10:53 PM
Luke, could you possibly be getting the wood oils into your system through your skin?

Have you tried wearing gloves?

If the gloves don't help, then at least you know it's from dust. You can then try a very light mask, or some kind of fan / extraction as other have mentioned.

Also - What woods are you cutting? Some exotics like Rosewood, Cocobolo, Cedar, and Ebony are well-known to cause reactions. Even if you are using something more common, perhaps if you switch species ......

Sorry to hear about this. What a bummer.

Mike Holbrook
04-03-2016, 11:12 PM
I did not have problems for many years then around 3-4 years ago I started with similar symptoms to yours Luke. I finally started getting severe skin reactions, and lots of swelling, my hands would break out....could not work at all, couldn't even open doors sometimes. Three different Dermatologists provided various diagnoses, medications, ending in steroid tapers, and even worse medications, all of which only provided temporary symptom relief.

I thought maybe it might be allergic reactions to woods or chemicals too. Then someone, actually a poster on these pages, suggested I try a different diet, gluten free. I have been gluten free, for about a year now. I cut out a large amount of my sugar intake, generally improved what I eat. The change has been dramatic. I am 25-30 lbs lighter and just about all my inflammation issues no longer exist. It is spring now, Atlanta is famous for astronomical pollen counts, everything turns yellow. For the last few years It had given me major trouble, not so this year, no symptoms, no medication. My wife was living off nasal inhalers and anti inflammatory meds. in the spring, she has reduced her gluten and improved her diet too and is having far less trouble. The best I can figure it, some diets can make one very susceptible to all sorts of inflammatory reactions.

There are lots of books, many doctors singing a very different tune regarding diet and nutrition. Try some dietary changes for a few weeks and see if you notice any changes.

I also use North N95 dust masks. It is a rubber/silicone frame that holds replaceable masks, that come 20 to a box. Highland Woodworking sells them as I am sure others do. The mask is more comfortable, seals better and is much easier to use than the cheap packages of dust masks. I also have a Festool shop vac that has a great air filter system, Fein makes a good one too. I try not to let wood,metal,dust get too deep as it tends to get into the air. I use rubber/neoprene gloves around any harsh: soaps,glues,cleaners. I keep regular gloves in the shop for touching/handling anything I think might cause some sort of inflammation or skin issue. In my experience, there are lots of choices we can make that can dramatically reduce allergic reactions.

There is no one better at figuring out our allergic responces than we are. I learned to pay attention and act responsibility the hard way, here is hoping the OP works out his issues sooner.

Chris Parks
04-04-2016, 3:51 AM
Mike brings up a good point, keep the workshop clean. If dust builds up in the workshop or is even attached to your clothes when disturbed it is now free to be breathed in. Another issue with handwork is when sawing or otherwise engaged in physical activity your respiration rate will rise making the problem worse.