PDA

View Full Version : 1940's Craftsman Bandsaw - Should I sink money into it?

Allan Speers
04-02-2016, 7:29 PM
I asked this last year, but never made a decision. It's Spring-cleaning time, and I need to get this old 'arn out of my garage/shop. To sell this, I'd first want to get it actually running again. I REALLY can't decide & need more opinions. (And no, I'm not interested in keeping it for use with narrow blades. That's a good idea but I don't have the space for it.)

I have a 1940's Craftsman 12" bandsaw, model 103-103. You know the one. Cast iron wheels, etc.
It has a 1 hp Delco R/I motor in great condition, a shop-made wooden open-base, and the original fence. - The fence is missing its handle but otherwise works great. You don't see these very often so it's kinda' cool.

VERY little rust overall, and the original logo is clear.

It's a fine little machine that someone really should be using, but at a minimum it need a new upper guide (completely broken) and new tires. - The upper tire is in such bad condition that it can't even be run, unless I put some glue in the holes, and that would be bad for the new owner.
------------------------------------------

OK, so I can install better-than-new tires and a very nice ball bearing guide, for about $85. That's it. It will then be a great little machine. - But I've seen these sell on Ebay for around $100. Sometimes more, but I want to sell it quickly to make room.

Whaddaya think? The idea of throwing it out really bothers me, though I could probably use the motor for something else. Heck, I could probably sell the motor alone for more than the saw. Should I try parting it out?

Gail Ludwig
04-02-2016, 8:53 PM
I have the exact same saw. It was given to me by a guy who wasn't doing much woodworking anymore and he thought I would put it to good use. I added a new upper guide for about $40--that's it. I do need new tires, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I love this band saw. It just hums along and does the basic things I need. I guess I would recommend that you offer it up to someone who is just getting started and wants an entry level saw. The time and money it would take you to fix it up for sale really isn't worth your time nor effort. You really won't get that much out of it and the aggravation of putting it up for sale probably isn't worth it. Just my two cents!

Carroll Courtney
04-02-2016, 9:07 PM
I'm like you,love the old arn but for using not for just looks.And with limited space I would also have to move it along but to find someone local may be impossible if its not a user.To part it out,you most likely will still have the frame while all other parts be sold on ebay.So if you don't have another bandsaw yet,and if you figure about 100 to get it completely restored to display quality then why not.Then use it for awhile till you come across what you want,then sell it as freshly rebuilt say yr ago or what ever the time frame is.Make you a base out of MDF,get created then paint it a color that will highlight the saw itself.So for 100 investment and some time this will be money well spent and become a good project.When you sell it I would keep in mind that breaking even will be profit instead of expecting your going to make money off of it.Good luck with any path you take----CJ

Bradley Gray
04-03-2016, 11:55 AM
I have one of these saws I bought 40 years ago. I changed out the motor and added graphite guides and I keep a 1/8"blade on it. It gets almost daily use. It saves a ton of time not having to change blades on my bigger band saws.

Allan Speers
04-03-2016, 5:48 PM
Hmmm. Maybe I can make a custom base, and mount the motor really high. I was not going to keep it, but if I can get it small enough....

Thanks for the thoughts, guys

Larry Frank
04-03-2016, 7:12 PM
Tough decision..I just got a 1952 10" Delta Homecraft bandsaw. It was my dad's. But it is one heck of a bandsaw and built like a tank. I put new tires on, cleanup and a little adjusting and is as good as any saw. Only downside is no dust collection port.

Brian Millspaw
04-03-2016, 9:04 PM
sell it now for $40 or whatever .. you won't get your money back upgrading that level machine.

Don Jarvie
04-03-2016, 9:38 PM
Keep it for now since it's not much to get it running and then decide if you need a bigger saw over time. It will do the basics but if you want to resaw someday an 18 inch may be warranted. A good used 14 inch will cost 300 so for 100 you have a good saw.

Allan Speers
04-03-2016, 10:47 PM
Keep it for now since it's not much to get it running and then decide if you need a bigger saw over time. It will do the basics but if you want to resaw someday an 18 inch may be warranted. A good used 14 inch will cost 300 so for 100 you have a good saw.

I agree. However I already got a 19" Grizzly Industrial last year, and have yet to sell my old 14" Delta X5. This Craftsman was obtained in a "take everything for 1 price" deal, so ... but again, it might make sense to keep it if I can make it small enough. The Delta, with it's riser block & tall base, is too darned big for my tiny shop. Plus, I can get decent money for it.

With the Craftsman, I'm now thinking I could have shelving both above & below it, so it might make sense. For the tasks I would use it for, it's surely more than adequate, as everyone here has stated. I guess I've decided ..... :)

Mike Wilkins
04-04-2016, 4:14 PM
I have that same machine, acquired just for the asking. A bucket of rust with no motor or stand; but after time spent with a wire wheel on the grinder, some elbow grease and a new coat of paint, it is performing just great. New tires by Carter, a motor from an old table saw which was junk, a new switch and wiring, and a rolling base made of MDF, and I was sawing away. Still have to fabricate a throat plate though.

This now makes 3 band saws in my small 16 X 24 shop, but I hate to part with it. With a mobile base it can move to an empty part of the shop out of the way. Sears used to make some really good machinery back in the day, but with the coming of the 70's and outsourcing of parts, quality started to slide down hill.

Rich Riddle
04-04-2016, 9:04 PM
You can go to OWWM and ask the folks there about the machine. It really depends upon the use you have planned for it. If it's going toward a production life, the short answer is "no." If memory serves correct, that Model 103.0103 is an old King Seely model badged for Craftsman.

Jim Becker
04-05-2016, 9:41 AM
Many of us who have larger bandsaws in our shops occasionally wish that we also had a small one for convenience and small jobs, especially for scrolling. For my larger saw, the setup is the same, more or less, for any of the "normal" blades I might use from, say 3/8" on up, but if I put a 1/8" blade on for fine detail, I have to do a bit of additional setup because I can't track such a small blade with "teeth off" like with the larger blades on a flat wheel. (not crowned)

So if this smaller saw would provide you with useful utility and you have the space for it, the relatively minor repairs would be worth it in my mind.

Harold Weaver
04-05-2016, 11:40 AM
Keep it. they really don't take up that much space. You aren't going to net a lot of money out of a smaller saw like that, but it is still a quite useable machine and will more than do the job it was designed to do better than most others in its category. Plus it's from the 40's, they just do not make things as stout and hefty today as they did then. That's why its still functioning. Most things today in that size range are built to be "disposable".

Peter Aeschliman
04-05-2016, 1:39 PM
You already have two other bandsaws, and this saw has been sitting unused for at least a year, and you're tight on space. You sir, might have a problem! ;)

During the year, when this machine was in the corner collecting dust, have you come across a case when you thought to yourself that you wish you could use that bandsaw instead of your other two machines? I'm going to guess no.

Get rid of it and don't look back!! You will enjoy the extra floor space more than having an unused saw taking up that space!!