PDA

View Full Version : drawer slide problem grrrrrrrr

chris ormsby
04-01-2016, 9:09 PM
I am building a tool cart from plans I found online. When I mounted the drawer slides, it seems like they bottom out. They come to an abrupt stop, while the drawer is about 4 inches open. Flat head screws were provided with the slides. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Chris

Leo Graywacz
04-02-2016, 12:42 AM
Is the case they are mounted in parallel? Are the drawers the proper width? Usually drawers need to be -1/16"/+0" for them to operate smoothly.

It's possible there is something in the slide that is causing it to stall, maybe a small chunk of wood in a bearing.

If you are just initially installing a drawer into a ball bearing slide you have to give it a good push before the drawer "seats" and the slides operate smoothly.

Steve Jenkins
04-02-2016, 5:17 AM
Make sure that the screws are completely seated. If the head sticks up very much it will hit the slide.

John TenEyck
04-02-2016, 8:53 AM
What Leo said. You have to push the drawer in really hard the first time. Sometimes they still won't go in until you pull them out to their forward limit, then push them back in a second time. As long as your tolerance are OK, they should go in.

John

Martin Wasner
04-02-2016, 5:04 PM
If they are ball bearing slides, a lot of times you have to give them a yank to full extension, then they work well. The part the captures the bearings isn't in its proper location and just needs to be centered. The bearings are gripping the inner and outer race, but not where they would be until they've been cycled completely. At least that's my experience using a KV 8400 and similar.