PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering

lowell holmes
04-01-2016, 3:39 PM
Does anyone use resorcinol glue any more? They must, because if you Google it, an add comes up. I have some on my bench that's got to be 15-20 years old. Back in the day, it was about the only waterproof glue. We used it on boats.

Tom M King
04-01-2016, 5:30 PM
I didn't even know you could still buy it.

David Eisenhauer
04-01-2016, 7:06 PM
is that the glue powder you mixed up with water and then have it stain everything a kind of purple color? Holds like a pit bull on a Frisbee.

Bruce Haugen
04-01-2016, 7:37 PM
I have used it on laminations where color wasn't a problem. It leaves a medium brown glue line. My container is about 15 years old, too, but it's still available from a bunch of places. It's great for bent pieces because it doesn't creep. AT ALL!

lowell holmes
04-01-2016, 7:43 PM
IIRC, you mix the powder with a thin brown resin and apply the glue. I think it was used in making wood ribbed airplane wings. It was the only glue we used in marine applications.

mark kosse
04-01-2016, 8:35 PM
It's still used in bamboo fly rod making. I never found the visible glue lines nostalgic, but some folks do. If I remember right it does have a shelf life if your keeping it to use.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-01-2016, 8:37 PM
It excels in marine applications and unlike epoxy it does not deteriorate in heat and not as much in UV as epoxy. It also glues oily woods very well, hence it is used for gluing teak and other oily woods. It must be clamped very tight and has a long drying time. I think today people want short drying times and therefore lean towards epoxies, but it is still great for boatbuilding and often found in wooden masts.

I just happen to have a Douglas fir mast I salvaged off a wrecked boat and am using to build smaller boats with. You can see the dark glue line. That is resourcinall 334985

This boat was built in Taiwan like so many others in her day. Fiberglass was green stinky stuff used more for making hulls in those days.

Funny thing- this part of the mast currently resides in my clothes closet. My wife is very understanding. Yes, there's a table saw in my closet too. What???

Chris Fournier
04-01-2016, 8:56 PM
Used it on flyrods. Purple colour. Brown colour is likely plastic resin aka URAC 185. Excellent shock resistance, no creep from both. PPR is a water to powder version of plastic resin. I like this glue for bent laminating.

Mateo Panzica
04-01-2016, 9:12 PM
Great for bent lamination with a long open time... just be darn sure to clean your clamps before that stuff sets.

David Eisenhauer
04-02-2016, 12:45 AM
I used it in the 1980's to make some meat cutting table tops that were going to be subjected to lots of hot water sluice downs after meat cutting sessions and needed something that would take the hot water. I do remember the dark brown/dark purple stains that still shows in places on my old bench. It has worked well for years and the tops are holding together just fine.