PDA

View Full Version : Hall Table

Kenneth Fisher
03-31-2016, 11:46 PM
I got this to a point were I feel ok sharing it. Just finished the last few things tonight, tomorrow it gets painted and then I need to build a top for it. The piece I originally wanted to use twisted, bowed, and cuped on me. :mad: Oh well, gives me an excuse to try bread board ends :D

Brian Holcombe
04-01-2016, 12:11 AM
Nice work Kenneth! What do you have in mind for the top?

Kenneth Fisher
04-01-2016, 12:49 AM
Nice work Kenneth! What do you have in mind for the top?

Thank you! Originally I was going to use a single piece of pine with a wax finish, now I think I'll glue up three boards and put bread board ends.

Jim Koepke
04-01-2016, 12:50 AM
What material are used for the legs?

I am looking for some material for table legs and haven't found anything to my liking.

jtk

Luke Dupont
04-01-2016, 1:02 AM
Looks like "Red" pine to me? Not sure if that's the right term, but; that pine which is neither SYP nor White Pine. :D

Kenneth Fisher
04-01-2016, 1:23 AM
It's pine from Lowe's, their higher grade stuff. I laminated three layers to get the thickness then planed them down to 2" squares.

Luke Dupont
04-01-2016, 1:31 AM
Yep! That's what I was thinking of. I built a small, narrow work table out of it with a frame about the size of yours, and it worked well. Very pleasant to work with, and, while it's soft, it doesn't dent up as badly as one would expect.

Very expensive if you buy it from Lowe's, though.

Jim Koepke
04-01-2016, 1:45 AM
It's pine from Lowe's, their higher grade stuff. I laminated three layers to get the thickness then planed them down to 2" squares.

Do you ever get up to Vancouver? There is a Shur-Way building center store there where the 'clear' pine 1X12 is about $2 a foot.

jtk

Phil Mueller
04-01-2016, 5:40 AM
Well done Kenneth. It looks great.

It looks like the pine HD sells as Premium Select or something like that. It's Radiata Pine a.k.a. Monterey Pine. Listed as a medium density softwood. Somewhere in hardness between Douglas Fir and SYP. Pretty straight grained. I've used it on a number of projects...nice to work with.

Chris Hachet
04-01-2016, 7:19 AM
Well done! Lots of cool stuff can be built from lumber yard pine. I built a similar sized table out of Cherry for my living room and it has worked out very well for several years.

Robert Hazelwood
04-01-2016, 8:30 AM
Looks nice and clean, well done. That "select" pine can be quite pretty, often having a bit of quilted figure. And I love the sheen of freshly hand-planed softwood.

David Eisenhauer
04-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Nice, clean looking work from here. Do the breadboard top for it. I like breadboard ends. Post top photo please.

Kenneth Fisher
04-01-2016, 6:39 PM
Thank you all for the kind words, I'm just glad it stands on its own and is square. It'll be a little bit before I can get to the top, once I do I'll post photos.

Frederick Skelly
04-01-2016, 6:45 PM
That's a pretty little table Ken. Seems a shame to paint it - Sure you don't want to put on a couple coats of blond shellac or waterlox or something?

Kenneth Fisher
04-01-2016, 8:53 PM
Thank you, I plan on doing the top in a blond shellac and wax. I'll be using a blue grey milk paint for the base that matches our furniture. I think the natural top and painted base will be a nice contrast. Bonus, it'll help hide the gaps and dings I couldn't fix :)

Jim Koepke
04-02-2016, 12:42 AM
Thank you, I plan on doing the top in a blond shellac and wax. I'll be using a blue grey milk paint for the base that matches our furniture. I think the natural top and painted base will be a nice contrast. Bonus, it'll help hide the gaps and dings I couldn't fix :)

That sounds like it will look pleasing. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
04-02-2016, 7:24 AM
That sounds like it will look pleasing. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

jtk

Me too! Please post them!

Kenneth Fisher
04-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Not sure how to proceed now.

I've got the top glued up and have it rough planed. It's 11" x 43" x 3/4".

As I see it I can do one of three things. I can square the ends and attach it to the base, I can cut a tongue and groove on the end and glue an end peice on, I can cut a couple of mortise and tenons and glue the end on. In any event I plan on only gluing about a third of each end to allow for movement.

What would you do?

Mel Fulks
04-05-2016, 1:41 PM
Be sure to allow for the wall base mould so that the top will be deep enough to touch the wall.

Kenneth Fisher
04-25-2016, 1:04 PM
And done. I'm not terribly excited about the painted finish, but I've spent way to much time on it already.

Frederick Skelly
04-25-2016, 9:36 PM
I like it. Well done Sir!

Jim Koepke
04-25-2016, 10:43 PM

Great piece of work.

jtk

Kenneth Fisher
04-26-2016, 7:14 PM
Thank you Frederick and Jim!

I had fun making this. Once I wrap my head around drawer slides and runners, I'll be building a set of matching end tables.

Christopher Charles
04-27-2016, 12:39 AM
Looks great to me! Well done.

Best,
C

Mike Cherry
04-27-2016, 3:55 PM
I like the look of this buddy! Can you talk about your final decision on the breadboard ends? Looks like some little pegged tenons there which is really nice.

Pat Barry
04-27-2016, 6:26 PM
I think the contrast of the top to the legs and structure is very nice and that pine top looks sweet! Nice work and well proportioned.

Kenneth Fisher
04-28-2016, 12:46 AM
Christopher and Pat, thank you. So far it's working exactly as intended, even the cat has given her approval by adopting it as another of her lounge areas :)

I like the look of this buddy! Can you talk about your final decision on the breadboard ends? Looks like some little pegged tenons there which is really nice.

Thanks Mike, by the time I got to the top, I was just wanting to be done so I could move on to another project. The bread board ends were done with 1/4" x 1/2" tounge and groves and I used 1/8" bamboo pegs to attach them. I went with four pegs because I was uncomfortable pegging on a glue line and didn't want them to be asymmetrical.