PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for extra 1x1 stickers

Brant Foltman
03-31-2016, 9:09 PM
I recently had some oak milled up. The sawyer recommended I fell an Aspen tree that he milled into 1x1s to use for stickers. I have a lot of leftovers. They are about 6' in length. I was wondering if anyone has used Aspen for any projects. I was thinking of doing a couple glue ups and either making some kind of bench or maybe trying out some end grain cutting boards.

Keith Weber
04-02-2016, 2:15 AM
Do you have young boys? Remembering back to when I was young, those would have made great war sticks/spears/swords. Hockey gear for protection was optional. Welcome to the creek!

Frederick Skelly
04-02-2016, 7:17 AM
Welcome Brant!

Here's my ideas:
* They should work for "regular" cutting boards but they might be too porous for end grain boards - not sure, but I'd make a prototype and find out.
* I can also see milling them a bit more and using some of them as drawer slides. (Lifetime supply!)
* You might be able to sell some for tomato stakes at a farmer's market.
* I've seen folks use 2' lengths of 1x1 to stake pine tree saplings during "green" events like earth day. You might ask around and see if anyone does that in your area. (Boy scouts, girl scouts, city beautification groups, etc). You could take a tax deduction for that.

Hope it helps!
Fred

Brant Foltman
04-30-2016, 2:20 PM
336664So I ended up making a small floating computer desk for my garage/shop. Turned out great for my purposes. I did see how Aspen is difficult to work with as far as chip out. I put a few coats of Danish oil, then two coats of satin poly.

Brant Foltman
04-30-2016, 2:24 PM
336665Having troubles uploading pictures, but I was able to get this one- the final product.

Reinis Kanders
04-30-2016, 2:30 PM
You could make garden trellis for climbing plants. They usually are pretty expensive in home stores.

Keith Weber
04-30-2016, 4:00 PM
Nice job! Isn't it hard on the back to operate the computer with it mounted to the floor like that, though?

Brant Foltman
05-08-2016, 6:42 PM
Hahaha Took me a couple minutes, but now I get the joke. I'm behind the curve with uploading pictures. Hopefully I will get it down soon. Also, it doesn't show in the picture but I have a stool I use when working on the computer. I installed the computer based off the height of the stool.