PDA

View Full Version : Metal face vise mounting tips

Daniel Rode
03-31-2016, 11:47 AM
I just bought an Eclipse 10" QR vice. I'd planned to buy it when I eventually build a workbench but I decided to replace my the vise with came with my sjobergs bench now. The bench may last for 10 more years but I've never loved the vices. I took some measurements and I have plenty of clearance.

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to flush mount it. My bench is thin with an apron, so I'm going to build up the underside from apron to apron across the width where the vise will mount. I'm considering screws and glue and then I'd use lag bolts through the added wood and into the original top. This would give the vise lots of support and help make of for the loss of any rigidity from cutting the apron away.

Another option is to use a spacer (not screwed and glued) and use carriage bolts inset from the top.

I'd prefer the first option because I don't really want visible bolts in in my benchtop. My concern is whether the glued spacer block might cause the top to warp.

Any suggestions?

Luke Dupont
03-31-2016, 12:07 PM
I'm still a novice, so I'm not really one to give advice, but here's my thoughts:

I'd personally go with the least obtrusive/permanent option, and if more rigidity is needed, add it. I think screws alone would be sufficient, and if you don't like something about how it's mounted, you can simply remove everything and fix it. I always err on the side of "under-engineering," because I think people generally go way too far in the other direction, and make life difficult for themselves if they ever need to remove or repair something.

I wouldn't go the bolt route because don't like anything metal on my work-surface, even if it is flush, as you always run the small risk of hitting it with a tool, and if you want to true the top with a plane, it becomes potentially more difficult. Plus, like you said, it doesn't look that good. But, I do suppose bolts would be easy to remove if you wanted to, so that's a plus.

How much of the apron would you be cutting away/have leftover? I kind of doubt it would negatively impact the rigidity of the workbench much, unless it's drastic.

Edit: All that said, I went with a flush-mounting vice just as you described doing (even gluing the shims under the top), and it worked just fine. And, I'm really happy I went with flush-mounting it. So, that works just fine too. At least it did with my little vise.

Robert Hazelwood
03-31-2016, 1:43 PM
How thick is the top on your Sjobergs?

I think your plan is good, although I am not sure if glue is necessary for mounting the spacer. You could simply use a quantity of shorter lag screws to mount the spacer to the top, and that should be strong enough. Much easier to make changes down the road if you need to.

I don't think warping would be a big concern, but you can use plywood or a laminated block to mitigate any issues. Also, it's not entirely clear to me but it sounds like you want the spacer to span all the way from the front to back apron...if so I would just keep it close to the size of the mounting area of the vise. The bigger it gets the more potential issues with expansion/contraction

I dug up this thread showing a similar vise mounted in a thinner top (no apron, though). Looks like he just used lag screws for the spacer attachment.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?53956-Quick-Release-Steel-Vise-Install

Daniel Rode
03-31-2016, 1:57 PM
My benchtop is about 1" thick in the center with an apron that is about 3". I'll have to measure the apron when I get home to double check.

I'd considered mounting the vise behind the apron, but the current vice mounts through the apron. I'd prefer to replace that area with something solid rather than leaving the holes.

glenn bradley
03-31-2016, 4:02 PM
I mortised in behind the apron but, it sounds like you may want to replace your whole apron anyway so this could be a solution. I used lag screws into properly sized holes and the vises were still rock solid after years of use when this bench got gifted to an up and coming WW'r.

334917 . 334916 . 334915 . 334918