PDA

View Full Version : Leather for drawers

Derek Cohen
03-31-2016, 3:45 AM
I am after leather to line drawers, as the title states. I've not done this before.

Is there a specific type of leather required (my thoughts run to bookbinding).

Where do I purchase the leather in the USA?

And any thoughts on methods of lining (a) single large drawer, and (b) multiple box drawer (as per jewellery box).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Null
03-31-2016, 7:24 AM
Derek

I am reluctant to offer suggestions since I am in total awe of your work but here goes. First, it depends on the use. If the drawer is part of a tool chest then I would use vegetable tanned cow hide. If it is for a jewelry box I might use suede or even faux suede which is quite a nice material and easy to use. It is a plus that it is available in various colors. When using suede or faux suede I usually mount it to chipboard using spray adhesive then glue that to the box. For a large area using cowhide I've had good luck using contact cement.

For some of my jobs I've used natural paste wax as a finish for the cowhide. Here we would use Johnson's or Minwax. I apply 2 or 3 coats and buff it to a sheen.

The rather poor photo shows a waxed cowhide plaque I made for a customer. The whole thing was made from scraps. Leather was mounted to .5" plywood with contact cement and frame was made from mahogany molding. The frame captures the leather.

Derek Cohen
03-31-2016, 7:57 AM
Thanks Mike

I should describe the drawers a little more.

They are in the chest I am building. There are three in all. The first is a single open "tray"(recess) that lies on the top of the chest, and is visible when the lid of the chest is lifted to reveal a mirror. This tray is used to temporarily rest earrings, etc when the mirror is used. Only the floor of the tray will have leather.

The second (and third - there are two) drawers are sliding trays (ala a tool chest), and these are fitted inside the top drawer. They will have several compartments, with the dividers in solid wood. As before, only the floors of these will have leather.

I have no idea what the difference is in the thickness of leather hides (such as from ebay) - and whether this should be an issue at all. I would prefer not to lose much depth, as the drawers are shallow already.

My thoughts run to glueing the leather to a 3mm section of sealed MDF (flatter and more reliable than thin chipboard or local ply), which may be dropped into the single tray at at the top. Similarly the two sliding trays in the top drawer, and then dropping the wooden partitions on top of them.

Ideas and feedback?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brian Holcombe
03-31-2016, 8:17 AM
Chrome tanned is easier to upholster with, typically being thinner. I lined my desk drawers with leather, in the way that you describe, and I used Spinneybeck Sabrina leather.

Edelman and Spinneybeck are top makers of upholstery leather. What you may want to determine is weather or not you would like the leather to patina, if you do then you should use vegetable tanned leather. If you do not then you should use chrome tanned with a finish.

The 'jewelry box' material is shagreen, which is stingray hide, but being tiny you probably need to use a few of them and make good seems. Edelman makes a shagreen that is imprinted on a cowhide and looks nice.

If you want something you can upholster intricate objects with, then consider lamb suede.

Mike Holbrook
03-31-2016, 8:19 AM
Derek I think you may find something at Tandy Leather Company, or Tandy Leather Factory, a search should find quite a few stores. I believe Tandy is the big leather store in the US. Leather is used a great deal for collars leashes etc. in dog training and guys that make those things may even buy entire cow hides from Tandy. They also sell tools and things for working and engraving leather. They may be able to help with how best to attach it to drawers and "finish" it. Good luck and I look forward to seeing the finished drawers.

Mike Null
03-31-2016, 11:22 AM
I like your idea of using hardboard except that in all the work I've done that hasn't been the right material.

There are many leather suppliers in the US. The Tandy stores I have visited have been hobbyist type stores. I bought my leather from a wholesaler in Columbus, Ohio but I have forgotten their name.

Here's one in California. http://hidehouse.com/

Mike Holbrook
03-31-2016, 5:45 PM
I believe there are different kinds of Tandy stores. The one I have been to in Metro Atlanta does have hobby kits for making wallets... but they also sell whole cow hides and large sheets of full grain and suede leather which I don't think they are selling to hobbyist. The guys I have talked to who use a good deal of leather buy from them because they can actually go and see the actual hides before buying. I was also thinking that because they sell all sorts of kits for making things from leather they might know more about how to use leather for a specific application than a leather distributor who wholesales leather.

I have also become a fan of the faux leather now being made. I have worn scratch pants to train dogs in for several decades, originally the better ones were made from leather. The faux leather scratch pants I have now have stood up to very vigorous claws for 15-20 years without showing significant wear. They are also a fraction of the weight & machine washable.

Jay Aubuchon
03-31-2016, 10:34 PM
Your thread title made me think of this:

Mike Holbrook
03-31-2016, 11:02 PM
Ya daz hoozen, zur gut!