PDA

View Full Version : 4/4 Skirt and Holdfasts?

Luke Dupont
03-30-2016, 8:35 PM
I'm currently designing/building a small folding work-table; I say small, but at 18"x48", it'll actually be the largest work surface that I've had to date. I'm trying to keep it light weight so that I can carry it. I'm going with 1.5" thickness on the top; that is, to say, two layers of 3/4" (proper) stock that I will glue together (and even that is heavy! I'm using hardwood plywood. Lots of "ripping" to width. Not fun with handsaws. Hah), and I'm wondering if I will need to go for 1.5" on the skirt as well, or if a 3/4" thick skirt will suffice for use with holdfasts? Keep in mind, I won't be able to add material later to the underside of the skirt, because that would interfere with the legs. And holdfasts will be rather useful, as I won't have a front vice (because, again, that would interfere with the legs folding).

Actually, for that matter, are there any particular holdfasts that work well with thin workbenches? I haven't bought any proper ones yet. I suppose making my own out of wood is an option too though; and I could make them slightly fatter than normal. Or perhaps I could drill my dog holes just under 3/4" to get a better grip with such a thin table?

Lenore Epstein
03-30-2016, 8:59 PM
FWIW, Sjobergs sells 3/4" holdfasts that are specified as compatible with their workbenches with 1 1/2" thick tops, but I haven't put mine together yet so I can't testify to that.

Lenore Epstein
03-30-2016, 9:03 PM
FWIW, Sjobergs sells 3/4" holdfasts that are specified as compatible with their workbenches with 1 1/2" thick tops, but I haven't put mine together yet so I can't testify to that.
Correction: those benchtops are only 1" thick.

I'd be interested to know how holdfasts in a 1" top would compare to holdfasts in a thicker one.

Bill Satko
03-30-2016, 9:06 PM
I have Gramercy holdfasts (https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/store/dept/CGT/item/MS-HOLDFAST.XX) they hold extremely well on my 1" skirt. The holes are a true 3/4".

Bill

Luke Dupont
03-30-2016, 10:54 PM
Thanks guys! That's what I needed to know. But, gee, then. If holdfasts will work in thinner material, I might have to consider going with a thinner top as well. The weight is starting to add up. Maybe I'll get all of my pieces cut out and then decide.

Chris Hachet
03-31-2016, 7:27 AM
I would go at least an inch. Good luck! Hope it all works out well...