PDA

View Full Version : New to Hand Tools - Stanley No 12 Scraper

Dan T Jones
03-30-2016, 4:46 PM
Hello,
I've never posted here but I thought this might helpful to someone. Being a pretty confirmed power tool person I acquired a Stanley No 12 last week for some African Mahogany. I sort of cringed thinking of all the sanding I knew I would be in for, from another project with this wood.

Anyway I did my due diligence and with some help from more experienced users (way more) I got to the task of shaping and honing the blade. I decided to go with my Worksharp both to get the 45 degrees and to hone the edge. I built the simple jig in the picture and in pretty short order got to shavings. When I started the blade was at about 90 to the work and screeching. As I dialed the blade back toward me it got better and better. I'm sure it can get better still. For one thing I did not try to roll the edge but just went with the honed edge.

I started with 100 grit to form the edge and ended with 1000 both on the edge and to faces of the blade.
Dan

Jim Koepke
03-30-2016, 5:16 PM
Howdy Dan and welcome to the Cave by the Creek.

Most hand tool folks do not start with scrapers. I am sure those who have problems will appreciate your set up.

My recollection may be off, my mind is like a steel trap, rusty and illegal in 37 states, but I believe mahogany is one of the woods you should wear breathing protection when working.

jtk

Malcolm Schweizer
03-30-2016, 6:12 PM
I believe mahogany is one of the woods you should wear breathing protection when working.

jtk

Well then I am in trouble. Actually it is something to be careful with, but nothing like zebra wood, balsa, or other really bad ones. Using a scraper on mahogany is wise. It can tear out easily and it also shows sanding marks easily.

Glen Canaday
03-30-2016, 10:10 PM
I wrote a post before the pictures properly loaded..curse this phone! I was forced to delete it!

Go ahead and turn that hook!

Dan T Jones
03-31-2016, 8:54 AM
I can see that I may in a great minority with this tool. When I search I'm not coming up with anything relevant for "stanley 12".

I will try to turn the hook and see if that improves things.

Dan

Jim Koepke
03-31-2016, 12:28 PM
Dan, You have gotten further with yours than I have with mine.

I haven't done much with mine.

I haven't had much luck with scraper usage.

I haven't been able to find an instruction sheet online. That is strange since almost every instruction booklet gets posted somewhere.

jtk

Dan T Jones
03-31-2016, 4:16 PM
Jim,
I found some help from the Lee Valley and LN websites. Also http://www.hocktools.com/Brendler/scraper.htm and this video, of which I have only watched a little,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiC15vRQv_4
Hope these help.
Dan