PDA

View Full Version : useful feature I would like to see on SMC

Michael Weber
03-30-2016, 1:47 PM
A "new" button after a thread title so one doesn't have to scroll through all the old posts to read new comments. I enjoy that feature on a motorcycle forum. Don't know if it's even possible with the forums software or if it would be difficult or expensive to implement. Perhaps I'm just missing something and it already available be setting or somewhere. Assume someone will let me know if that's the case:rolleyes: Don't want to create more work for admins, but just thought if possible it would be good.

Lee Schierer
03-30-2016, 2:08 PM
Any thread with new entries should sow up on the main forum page that shows all the sub-forums. When you open a sub-forum all the threads with new responses should be at the top of your listing and and bold as compared to other threads that have not changed since your previous visit.

Once your read a post if should change to a light color as compared to the others. If that isn't happening check your settings in your profile. They should look like this:

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2016, 2:12 PM
Michael...you can hover your pointer over the double downward pointing arrows icon to the left of a thread title and click on it. It should take you to the first new post in a thread you are following.

Anthony Whitesell
03-30-2016, 2:52 PM
Also the small >> icon on the topics page will take you directly to the post indicated.

Yonak Hawkins
03-30-2016, 3:11 PM
Michael...you can hover your pointer over the double downward pointing arrows icon to the left of a thread title and click on it. It should take you to the first new post in a thread you are following.

Yes, this is very useful. I had the same question some time ago and Ken pointed out the feature just to the left of the thread title.

John Stankus
03-30-2016, 5:08 PM
Yes, this is very useful. I had the same question some time ago and Ken pointed out the feature just to the left of the thread title.

The little icon is great to the left of the thread title, I just wish it could be a little larger (i.e. easier to hit). Also it would be nice to have the posters name to the side of the title, so when I read on my Ipad I don't ham finger it and hit the author rather than the thread.

John

Erik Loza
03-30-2016, 5:14 PM
I don't have any suggestions for features but do say that one of the reasons I think (and enjoy being a part of) this community is the policy of using your real name and also, no political discussions. SMC is probably the most civil forum I know of and I'm sure these two policies are a big reason.

Erik

Michael Weber
03-30-2016, 5:35 PM
Wow, thanks. That is tiny on my iPad and I never noticed it. I had to poke at it several time before I could hit it. Glad to know of it. Thanks for pointing that out. Agree with Erik 100 percent. The motorcycle forum I belong to sometimes gets real ugly with political discussions.

Jim Becker
03-30-2016, 8:16 PM
This is somewhat of a standard feature on forum software, both the vBulletin code used here and other forum software, such a Zenforo...that little button next to the thread title. There's usually a similar button at the top of a thread if you inadvertently click on the first post.

Michael Weber
03-31-2016, 12:49 AM
I only really visit one or two forums other than SMC. Both have a big very obvious yellow "New" clickable after the thread title. Guess that's what I was expecting so just overlooked one available.