PDA

View Full Version : Tote Stool

Jim Koepke
03-30-2016, 1:25 PM
This is the project that had me jerry rig a shooting set up for 12º shooting.

It's a tote:

No, it's a stool:

Still a bit to finish on this. The screw holes will have buttons glued in place. I was thinking of using cut nails. Maybe on the next one.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
03-30-2016, 1:45 PM
I like the design Jim! If you have drawings, can you post them? Looks like just the ticket for the grandson's tools!

Don Orr
03-30-2016, 2:06 PM
That's great Jim-nicely done!

Jim Koepke
03-30-2016, 2:33 PM
I like the design Jim! If you have drawings, can you post them? Looks like just the ticket for the grandson's tools!

It is based on this:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/icandothat?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pww-jru-nl-160319&utm_source=I%20Can%20Do%20That&utm_campaign=pww-jru-nl-160319&utm_content=828703_ICDT160319&utm_medium=email

That is kind of long so click on THIS. (http://www.popularwoodworking.com/projects/icandothat?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pww-jru-nl-160319&utm_source=I%20Can%20Do%20That&utm_campaign=pww-jru-nl-160319&utm_content=828703_ICDT160319&utm_medium=email) The word > THIS <

jtk

Malcolm Schweizer
03-30-2016, 3:23 PM
That's nice. A tote when on the go, but doesn't waste space when in the shop.

John Sanford
03-30-2016, 6:58 PM
The STOOL BOX lives!!!!!! :cool:

Luke Dupont
03-30-2016, 8:42 PM
Nice. I really like this concept and was thinking about doing something similar. Are you going to put some kind of a finish on it?

bridger berdel
03-31-2016, 12:13 AM
the only bone I have with it is that you have to dump out all of the stuff you are toting in order to step on it. kind of inconvenient if you are doing something like hanging a bunch of pictures, where the toolset would fit in the tote just fine, but you use one tool at a time and step up and down a lot.

Luke Dupont
03-31-2016, 12:23 AM
the only bone I have with it is that you have to dump out all of the stuff you are toting in order to step on it. kind of inconvenient if you are doing something like hanging a bunch of pictures, where the toolset would fit in the tote just fine, but you use one tool at a time and step up and down a lot.

I was thinking that too. If you have all of your small tools in say, a tool roll, and just leave a couple of large things loose, though, that wouldn't be an issue.

Jim Koepke
03-31-2016, 12:58 AM
Are you going to put some kind of a finish on it?

I am not sure. Since this one is for the farmers market I was thinking of leaving it au natural.

jtk

Joe Tilson
03-31-2016, 6:47 AM
You could always build another so your body would be in balance while walking to the job, and therefore, twice the fun.:D

Tony Zaffuto
03-31-2016, 9:34 AM
Thanks for the link Jim! I'm going to build two-one for each grandson, though I may not stick exactly to the plan!

John K Jordan
03-31-2016, 10:00 AM

Beautiful work Jim, I love the look! I especially like the handle. My work is always pretty crude in comparison. :-(

I also wondered about the utility when inverting it.

This is not intended to be a hijack, but as an idea for an alternative design. I made a bunch of these and based on the people who wanted one, I think an industrious person could sell MANY at the farmer's market or just along the side of the road! With a hole in the top for a hand hold, I can haul tools to a project in the shelf, stand on it, use it as an impromptu workbench for sawing or drilling, or just sit on it to put on my boots!

I built this one maybe 45 years ago from a piece of 1x12 shelving pine, back before such boards were so expensive. Pretty beat up, but it's had a lot of use:

It could be improved with a wider stance like the Tote Stool above, although this is almost 12" deep and has been stable enough for me. This one is about 16" high and 24" long. Extending the top a little on the ends could allow using a clamp. A real woodworker could make one that looks good!

JKJ

Jim Koepke
03-31-2016, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the link Jim! I'm going to build two-one for each grandson, though I may not stick exactly to the plan!

They will likely love them. I didn't stick fully with the plan. I am also thinking of making a smaller one. This one is actually fairly large.

The original plans were for it to be a work platform. Most likely on top of a table.

The legs are only 10". With the splay it is pretty close to the ground. It is great for a gardening application where one would want to still be able to reach the ground while working.

jtk

Jim Koepke
03-31-2016, 12:15 PM
You could always build another so your body would be in balance while walking to the job, and therefore, twice the fun.:D

Or if you are going to the beach, twice the beer! :D

jtk

Jim Koepke
03-31-2016, 12:20 PM
John, I do not think of it as a hijack. It is more of a comparison of different ways to get the same results.

Though I may hijack your design. :D

jtk

John K Jordan
03-31-2016, 12:49 PM
Though I may hijack your design. :D

Do it, improve, share! This one has been on my front porch since we bought this farm in 2003 - I had forgotten about it until I saw your thread.

Although after so many years I cannot remember how much of the design is mine. When I was a youngster a man from our church who lived nearby took time to teach me things in his shop. He helped me build little chest of drawers as a present for my little sister (pine boards again, very simple, extremely strong, great for kids!) and the first of the step stools. When I finally got a few tools of my own, namely a Sears radial arm saw that would cut dados, I made a bunch of these little stools, some without the hand hole, some stained, some a bit fancier. As mentioned, these were very popular - far more people wanted one than I could make.

I can envision setting up with a variety to sell, get someone to paint flowers on one, make one pink, one jet black, one from nice walnut, a scaled down version for junior, etc.

I think I will make some more and maybe even put together a few kits with everything precut. It would be a great way to connect with kids who want to make something - having things precut could postpone the training and safety issues until after they were hooked! I do this with woodturning now but not yet with flat things.

Hey, I think I posted this before but here is another easy thing to make for grandkids, etc., is guaranteed to get a lot of use. I built this one just over 40 years ago and five Jordan boys have used it so far, even the 15 month old can climb up on it himself! Again, made from a single 1x12 pine board:

334901 334902 334904 334903

I drew the plans by measuring the one I have. The original leather ears and bridle need replacing now!

JKJ

Jim Koepke
03-31-2016, 1:08 PM
made from a single 1x12 pine board:

Thanks John, now I have two more ideas for stuff to make and sell at the farmers market.

jtk

Daniel Rode
03-31-2016, 2:22 PM
Great stuff as usual, Jim! Thanks for posting. Every time I see the post, I read tote stool but my mind says toadstool :) I'm seeing branding with "Tote Stool" written above a colorful mushroom.

I need to find a local farmer's market so I can make more stuff like this. I have all these projects I'd like to make but don't want the items for myself.

Stew Hagerty
03-31-2016, 2:38 PM
You know Jim, I have been thinking about making something similar but different for my wife. We enjoy gardening, and when she is planting she'll carry her tools and soil all around the house. ANd she also takes a stool with her to sit on. I like the idea behind this, but it would need to be bigger, maybe even with wheels so she could pull it around when she has a bag of soil. Yeah, I'm not trying to hijack either. The wheels just started turning when I saw this.

Bill Houghton
03-31-2016, 3:42 PM
Neat design. Though you should be sure to empty out the tools or other contents before turning it into a stool!

John K Jordan
03-31-2016, 5:24 PM
...when she is planting she'll carry her tools and soil all around the house. ANd she also takes a stool with her to sit on. I like the idea behind this, but it would need to be bigger, maybe even with wheels so she could pull it around when she has a bag of soil. Yeah, I'm not trying to hijack either. The wheels just started turning when I saw this.

We have a plastic cart/stool thing we use in the garden that might work well adapted to wood and made a little larger. It has four fat wheels that won't sink into soft soil. It has a hinged top that when closed makes a stool to sit on. The top is hinged on one end and has a handle built into the other so when it opens it makes a comfortable long handle for pulling it around the garden. Under the lid is a space for plants, soil, etc.

I often use this when transplanting strawberries - I can put a lot of plants with their clumps of dirt into the cart and work from it. She uses it as a rolling stool when picking beans, etc. She can scoot the cart down the row while seated.

JKJ

Jim Koepke
03-31-2016, 6:35 PM
The wheels just started turning when I saw this.

Getting the wheels to start turning is one of the reasons I always look at things even if they are not of particular interest. It will often give me ideas for joinery techniques or other things to make.

jtk

Stew Denton
03-31-2016, 11:49 PM
Hi Jim,

As mentioned above, with tools in a tool roll, mostly tools like hammers, a back saw, tape measure, etc., it could be used around the house for a handy man to carry tools in, and when extra height is needed, the tools would not be a hassle to unload and later pick up, as was mentioned above, if mostly in rolls, boxes, and when mostly larger tools. It looks like it would also be a good storage container for that same set of tools. If the guy doesn't have or need a lot of tools, they could all be stored in the container and then grabbed quickly to go attend a task that needs doing. The stepstool part adds a lot of versatility.

How do you go about finding out what will sell at the farmers markets? Do you make one of each size that you mentioned and then take them with you to see which one sells best, and then make more of that size? I assume you will also make another potting bench or two.

The thing that strikes me about the stool/tote is that unloading the tools, then of having to load them back up might not be super handy, but it would be a lot handier than not having a step stool with you and then having to make a second trip to go get one. To me this looks like it could be very handy for a handyman who does general maintenance and repair around a house or business. Big enough to carry quite a few tools and tall enough to help reach quite a bit of work locations, but not too large and heavy so as to get old carrying around.

That and the red tote up the post a ways with the carry slot handle have some of the same handiness features.

Stew

Jim Koepke
04-01-2016, 12:47 AM
Hi Jim,

[snip]

How do you go about finding out what will sell at the farmers markets? Do you make one of each size that you mentioned and then take them with you to see which one sells best, and then make more of that size? I assume you will also make another potting bench or two.

The thing that strikes me about the stool/tote is that unloading the tools, then of having to load them back up might not be super handy, but it would be a lot handier than not having a step stool with you and then having to make a second trip to go get one.

[snip]

Stew

I edited the above a bit to focus on a few thoughts.

I have not made a potting bench of yet for this years market. I have been mulling it over in my mind. As far finding out what will sell I tend to make what seems like a good idea. If it sells and people show interest I make more. If it doesn't sell it can become a household item or even a gift to a friend or family.

Usually when I use a tote to carry tools it is only carrying what is needed for the job at hand.

jtk