PDA

View Full Version : What glue to use

Bob Cooper
03-29-2016, 10:54 PM
I need to attach some 3/8" x 12"x24" solid wood to a cabinet side. What adhesive would you use? Contact cement? Liquid nails? I really cannot put constant force on it.

Mac McQuinn
03-30-2016, 10:03 AM
Can you place the cabinet on it's side? If so you could strategically place weigh on the trim to hold it in place. If not how about bulk bungey cord material to hold it in place? Using several pieces and tying it off with small lengths of scrap underneath to distribute wider force should work.
I've used TB3 to glue HW trim to cabinet edges and sides. Does a nice job.
Mac

Jim Becker
03-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Honestly, I'd glue the front edge and hold the remainder of the panel to the cabinet with screws in slots from the inside to account for wood movement...

Lee Schierer
03-30-2016, 2:17 PM
Honestly, I'd glue the front edge and hold the remainder of the panel to the cabinet with screws in slots from the inside to account for wood movement...

I agree. A 12" wide panel is going to want to move with seasonal moisture changes. If you glue it solid it is likely to split.

Bob Cooper
03-30-2016, 5:38 PM
Thanks guys. Why is it that veneer doesn't split?

Larry Browning
03-30-2016, 6:20 PM
Thanks guys. Why is it that veneer doesn't split?

Veneer is much thinner and does not have the problem. Anything thicker that about 1/16 will have the splitting issue.