PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite bowls and a Honey Locust

Ernie Nyvall
09-15-2005, 8:47 PM
The mesquite tree I cut had that damage where the rings are separated about 2/3 of the way around, but I tried doing something with it anyway.
The first one is 10.5x 4.5.
Next, the ogee sort of one is 8.5x 3.75. This was on the good 1/3 of the tree.
Next with the turquoise is 11x4.25. I decided to try and fill the separations with turquoise. Looks sort of goofy.
Last is the Honey Locust and is 11x2.
Anyway, I've been busy this week. Four bowls is busy for me.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks for looking.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
09-15-2005, 8:50 PM
They all look great Ernie!
Nice Job!

Ernie Nyvall
09-15-2005, 8:52 PM
Maybe this will work

Mark Cothren
09-15-2005, 9:22 PM
Hey, I like 'em all, but the one with the turquoise is really neat! Also that Honey Locust looks sweet as honey...:D Thanks for the pictures!

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
09-15-2005, 9:31 PM
Hey! Ernie, I wondered why that mesquite was so dark. Nice bowls and I like the turqoise treatment.

Joe Horne
09-15-2005, 9:40 PM
Very nice work Ernie. Mesquite is a joy to turn, as is any flavor of Locust. Nice use of the inlay technique.........good imagination!

Keith Burns
09-15-2005, 10:06 PM
All very nice !! Boy I like that mesquite, got to get me some. Like the inlay too. I'm glad you had a productive week, love new pic's.

Ernie Nyvall
09-15-2005, 10:18 PM
Hey! Ernie, I wondered why that mesquite was so dark.

Hey Don, this is the first mesquite I've cut down and it was almost black inside, but then I don't have anything to cpmpare it too. When I turned it, everything the chips landed on, turned black... my shoes, socks, the sleeves on my shirt, my hands all stained. I did dip them in a poly, blo, and thinner mixture though which darkened them even more.

Ernie

Dick Parr
09-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Very nice Ernie

Jerry Clark
09-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Great forms Ernie, I really like the Honey Locus-- Thanks for showing! :D

Michael Stafford
09-16-2005, 5:08 AM
I really like the mesquite particularly the first two bowls. I have seen mesquite range is color from honey colored to almost black. Ernie, I think I might have filled the cracks with some black epoxy mixture as the turquoise really seems to dominate when in that quantity.

The honey locust is very nice as well. Did you find that to be really hard? I have turned some wood that I was told was honey locust and I found it to be very hard.

Really like the ogee curves!!!!! :D

Ernie Nyvall
09-16-2005, 7:19 AM
Ernie, I think I might have filled the cracks with some black epoxy mixture as the turquoise really seems to dominate when in that quantity.

The honey locust is very nice as well. Did you find that to be really hard? I have turned some wood that I was told was honey locust and I found it to be very hard. :

I think you are right about the black epoxy and as I have a lot of this left, I'll try that.

Yes the Honey Locust was very hard and nothing I know to do would smooth out the end grain. I had to start on this one with 60 grit and with that it took at least 2 solid hrs to get the end grain smooth. 100 grit was almost buffing it.

Thanks, Ernie

Joe Horne
09-16-2005, 7:59 AM
I have not had that experience when turning Locust Ernie. I have found it to be about like Ash for finish turning properties. A very light shear scrape with a freshly sharpened Bowl Gouge should do the trick for you. Perhaps try cutting it after dampening it with an oil finish that is compatible with your finish of choice for the piece. I hope that information helps you some. Again, nice work. :)

Jeff Sudmeier
09-16-2005, 8:14 AM
Ernie, normally I don't like the Turquoise or other colors for fillers, but in this case, I think it looks great! Black epoxy would work well too. Either way, great job!

Glenn Hodges
09-16-2005, 8:43 AM
Ernie, they all look good to me particularly the ogee curved one. Sometimes I use coffee grounds and thin CA glue to fill voids on mesquite. I like turning mesquite also, this morning I am smoking jerky with mesquite shavings.

Charles E. Martin V
09-16-2005, 9:02 AM
I don't think the turquoise looks goofy at all, nice job.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-16-2005, 9:30 AM
Ernie.....I like them all! Beautiful!

Brad Schmid
09-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Well done Ernie!

Don Baer
09-16-2005, 3:28 PM
well done Ernie. All of you guys are in inspiration to me to keep on learning.

Thanks for sharing.

Ernie Nyvall
09-18-2005, 6:23 PM
Just getting back from a three day trip to Kilgore to read these.
Thanks all for your kind words and suggestions. I'm certainly trying to get there and all of you are much help.

Ernie

Carole Valentine
09-18-2005, 11:59 PM
These are really beautiful, Ernie! I love that Mesquite...one of these days maybe I can get my hands on some. We don't have that stuff here in the East. I am surprised the piece held together with the ring shake that bad. I usually trash anything that has that for fear of it exploding while I am turning it! Your treatment with the turquoise is great.

Ernie Nyvall
09-19-2005, 12:12 AM
These are really beautiful, Ernie! I love that Mesquite...one of these days maybe I can get my hands on some. We don't have that stuff here in the East. I am surprised the piece held together with the ring shake that bad. I usually trash anything that has that for fear of it exploding while I am turning it! Your treatment with the turquoise is great.

Thanks Carole, I did finally buy a face shield before I turned this stuff and I checked it during the turning to be sure the separations weren't making their way all the way around.

Ernie