PDA

View Full Version : Rock hard white oak burl??

Bob Bergstrom
03-29-2016, 8:23 PM
Myself and two members of the Windy City Woodturners cut up this rock hard oak that looked like burl on the log. Huge out growths on the log, but upon turning it appears to be more like curls than eyes. Still beautiful marbling and fiddle. As the marbling shows it doesn't have the usual grain as a regular blank would have so I guess it is oak burl? Thoughts? Cored 3 bowls from each blank. It may have been the hardest wet wood I've ever turned.

robert baccus
03-29-2016, 10:13 PM
That is very purty oak. The oak burls often show these"water marks" lines--who needs eyes. Hard yeah.

kevin nee
03-30-2016, 6:27 AM
Wait until you put the finish on it. White oak Burl can be beautiful.

daryl moses
03-30-2016, 6:55 AM
Pretty pieces, they should finish out well.

Bob Bergstrom
03-30-2016, 9:10 AM

Those are some big platters. That 30 pack certainly fits well on it. Flip the other on top a you'll have a mighty tasty sandwich! Thanks for the peak at some pretty wood.

Olaf Vogel
04-01-2016, 4:14 PM

hmm... You use Miller Lite as a finish?
well, I guess there has to be some use for it.....

John K Jordan
04-01-2016, 4:27 PM
Sometimes what looks like a burl is where the tree grew around a broken branch to heal. Most of these have bark inclusions and often have disappointing voids and rot inside, but sometimes the wood is sound. Could this be that? Yours looks a lot better than the healing growths I've cut into though.

JKJ

Bob Bergstrom
04-01-2016, 10:11 PM
Sometimes what looks like a burl is where the tree grew around a broken branch to heal. Most of these have bark inclusions and often have disappointing voids and rot inside, but sometimes the wood is sound. Could this be that? Yours looks a lot better than the healing growths I've cut into though.

JKJ

ive turned one of those and after seeing Olaf's picture I'm sure it is burl wood. Just not as fancy as elm or cherry. The overcapacity I turned had some nice swirel in it.

John Keeton
04-02-2016, 6:06 AM
For what it is worth, most all the oak burls I have dealt with have lacked the eyes and rays typical of maple and cherry burls. But, what you have certainly is some beautiful wood!

Bob Bergstrom
04-02-2016, 8:40 AM
For what it is worth, most all the oak burls I have dealt with have lacked the eyes and rays typical of maple and cherry burls. But, what you have certainly is some beautiful wood!

Thanks John, I was tempted to finish turn it wet, but I wanted it to be stabile so I will try to temper my thoughts of the finished bowls. I may regret that idea considering how hard this wood was just roughing it out. I sure I'll be sharpening a whole bunch. One thing I do know, no Pearl-Ex, black paint or glitter needed on these beauties.