PDA

View Full Version : Another bandsaw 'accident'

Rick Potter
03-29-2016, 7:45 PM
I have been looking at getting a nicer bandsaw for a while, to replace my older Rockwell/Delta 14" with the 1/2HP motor. I found a Delta 14" X5 on CL for a good price and decided to get it. This is the one that has the slightly larger table, the 1 1/2HP motor, steel pulleys, and still US made.

It was in nice shape, but when I got it home I went through everything, finding the lower blade guide wouldn't move. A little file work, a lot of clean up, lubrication, and adjusting and it looked like new. I treated it to a nice new 3/8" blade and got everything adjusted perfect.

It was getting late, but I wanted to try the new blade, so I tried a quick resaw cut on a scrap of 3/4 X 2" X 5 1/4" oak. The blade insert was out in my truck somewhere, but I didn't intend to cut more than an inch deep on the wood, so I didn't bother to get it. No fence on the saw.

I started resawing the 2" high scrap, and just got 1/8" into the cut when the blade grabbed the top edge of the wood, pivoted it down right into the hole for the insert, and tried to pull it in. The guides were above the wood about an inch and stopped the wood. The torque flexed the blade enough to pull it out of the guides, and twist it to the outside of both upper and lower guides, where it locked up tight, stalled the 1 1/2HP motor, and kinked the blade.

The moral of this story? Don't turn an old fool loose with a new power toy.

After another afternoon of adjusting everything, and installing another new blade, the saw is just fine, I even found a fence for it in the shed.

Go ahead and blast me, I deserve it.

Larry Frank
03-29-2016, 7:48 PM
Glad you were not hurt...be careful.

Chris Padilla
03-29-2016, 7:48 PM
Almost kicked back on ya!! ;)

Andrew Hughes
03-29-2016, 7:52 PM
Oh boy Rick that was close.The down ward force a bandsaw blade puts out is no joke even on a 14 inch saw.Glad you weren't hurt.

Chris Fournier
03-29-2016, 7:59 PM
Almost kicked back on ya!! ;)

Uh, this was a clear case of kick forward!

Glad you weren't hurt.

Peter Aeschliman
03-29-2016, 8:01 PM
Dude!!! Glad you weren't seriously injured!! Don't do that again!!

Allan Speers
03-29-2016, 8:39 PM
Rick, thanks for this. It's always god to be reminded of potential dangers, even in a relatively safe tool like a BS.

BTW - Congrats. That X5 a lovely bandsaw. I had one for ten years. It will actually tension a 3/4" blade, though not a carbide one of course.

Two tips:
Check the bearings. They are shielded, but not sealed, and can go bad on you. Easy to replace / upgrade if needed.
Consider replacing the upper pulley. It's only cast aluminum. It's probably not a big deal, but theoretically a cast iron pulley is better. I kept and Ebay search going for a while, and eventually found one for dirt cheap.

Michael Sloop
03-29-2016, 8:44 PM
Your willingness to share this to help others avoid a similar mistake is much appreciated.

Pat Barry
03-29-2016, 9:28 PM
Seriously that was a dumb thing to do. Thankfully you weren't hurt Rick. Be safe, not sorry.

Rick Fisher
03-29-2016, 10:51 PM
Glad you just got a warning..

Bill McNiel
03-30-2016, 12:01 AM
rick - sounds like the average day in this old fart's shop.

Bill White
03-30-2016, 11:22 AM
How long did it take for you to clean out your shorts (as in underwear)?:D
Bill

Daniel O'Neill
03-30-2016, 11:38 AM
How long did it take for you to clean out your shorts (as in underwear)?:D
Bill

LOL no doubt