PDA

View Full Version : Paddle Switch for Router?

Steve H Graham
03-29-2016, 1:38 PM
Someone suggested I put a paddle switch on my table router. I wondered what people here think.

I like the idea of being able to turn the router on and off without pulling a cord or poking around under the lift, and my router is enclosed in a dust box, so I can't touch the switch anyway. But I have watched lots of videos and read a few books, and I have never seen anyone recommend a paddle switch for a router. I have never seen one sold as standard equipment on a router table, either.

It seems to me that a paddle switch is not a great safety feature on a tool that takes a quarter of a second to have an accident and ten seconds to stop spinning. By the time you think about hitting a paddle switch, the accident is over, and with a router, all you have to do to get away from the danger is take one step back. I think a foot switch would be nice, though, because it would be convenient and out of the way.

The discussion started because I put a power strip on my router table, and I plugged the router into it. Now instead of plugging the router in to turn it on, I use the power strip switch. I am hoping the soft start of the router will be gentle on the power strip and not destroy the cheap switch.

Cary Falk
03-29-2016, 1:48 PM
I always like a switch I can bump with a knee, elbow, etc. I have a external switch on my router table that controls a outlet on the inside.

Mike Henderson
03-29-2016, 1:54 PM
I always like a switch I can bump with a knee, elbow, etc. I have a external switch on my router table that controls a outlet on the inside.
Same ^^^^ I have a paddle switch on my router table and like it. Why wouldn't you want one?

Mike

Jesse Busenitz
03-29-2016, 1:55 PM
I prefer having a paddle switch, but it probably isn't a necessity.

Steve H Graham
03-29-2016, 2:03 PM
Same ^^^^ I have a paddle switch on my router table and like it. Why wouldn't you want one?

Mainly, I just installed my $4 power strip, and I don't want to blow another $40. But there are other reasons. A foot switch would be a lot easier to get at in a hurry (and cheaper), and my table's geometry doesn't lend itself to good paddle switch placement.

I don't see it as an effective safety addition, and judging by the fact that router gurus don't mention paddle switches, I feel like I must have the right idea. If paddle switches prevented or ameliorated router accidents, they would be all over the place.

Ben Rivel
03-29-2016, 2:12 PM
I use a paddle switch too in my router table. Love it. I use this one: LINK (http://www.rockler.com/safety-power-tool-switch)

Also recently bought a high quality metal foot switch that I will setup to be used with my handheld router or anything else I want on a foot switch: LINK (http://www.temcoindustrialpower.com/products/Foot_Switches/CN0003.html)

Thinking of getting another one for my drill press to keep my hands free and easily stop the drill if I need to.

Steve H Graham
03-29-2016, 2:16 PM
The foot switch is nice, but it's rated at 15A, which is exactly the input rating of my table router.

Andrew Pitonyak
03-29-2016, 2:17 PM
I installed one so that I would not need to crawl under the table.

My primary reason for using a paddle rather than a power strip was in case I ever had both hands tied up (holding down a board) and then still be able to hit the power using my knee.

Ben Rivel
03-29-2016, 2:33 PM
The foot switch is nice, but it's rated at 15A, which is exactly the input rating of my table router.
Porter Cable 7518? So is the Rockler Paddle Switch I linked to and tons of people use it with the 7518. Itll work fine.

Steve H Graham
03-29-2016, 2:34 PM
Right, but I'm not going to use a paddle switch.

Ben Rivel
03-29-2016, 2:37 PM
Right, but I'm not going to use a paddle switch.
Got it, my point was only that the paddle switch is only rated for 15A and there are many people using it for years now with a 15A rated router. The foot switch I linked to will be fine for use with a 15A rated router.

Steve H Graham
03-29-2016, 2:50 PM
I see what you're saying. I have no idea what the router actually draws. Just what Bosch claims it draws!

Ben Rivel
03-29-2016, 3:31 PM
I see what you're saying. I have no idea what the router actually draws. Just what Bosch claims it draws!
Yea its probably just a max startup current draw. Might be under load if at the fastest speed setting but I doubt it. I wonder if TEMco makes a 20A model of their switches...

John TenEyck
03-29-2016, 3:42 PM
A foot switch is fine - unless you have several work pieces to route that requires you to move a step or two as you process them. That would drive me nuts.

In the end, no switch is going to stop a spinning bit from doing damage to your flesh like a SawStop does on a TS. I think of the paddle switch on my various machines as a convenience, not a safety device.

John

Ben Rivel
03-29-2016, 3:43 PM
In the end, no switch is going to stop a spinning bit from doing damage to your flesh like a SawStop does on a TS. I think of the paddle switch on my various machines as a convenience, not a safety device.

Agreed and same here.

Steve H Graham
03-29-2016, 3:55 PM
We are on the same page RE safety.