PDA

View Full Version : miter slot too wide for incra i-box

tom coleman
03-29-2016, 1:05 AM
I down graded to DW745 compact table saw for a lot of reasons. I was surprised to find that its miter slot is a shade wider than 3/4 inch and as a result my precision incra miter slides won't adjust to take up the slop. This is a big problem since I have Incra I-box, Incra miter express and Incra V27.

Any suggestions appreciated. I have already considered throwing DW745 into a dumpster.

Lee Schierer
03-29-2016, 7:38 AM
You can buy UHMW tape (http://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw-polyethylene-tape/=11qy6zx) in thin thicknesses such as .005 and .007. You can apply this to the side of the miter gauge bar and trim it with a razor to remove the excess above and below the bar. It lasts practically forever. Some will suggest putting dimples in the sides of the bar with a center punch, but the dimples wear quickly and you are back where you started.

Robert Engel
03-29-2016, 8:05 AM
I'm really surprised DW would make such an error.

Good suggestion ^, but its a shame you have to do that.

I would definitely let tech support at DW know about it.

John McClanahan
03-29-2016, 3:54 PM
I have a Bosch router table that has the same problem.

John

Alan Schaffter
03-29-2016, 8:13 PM
Try Lee's suggestion. First, I suggest you loosen the GlideLok adjusters so you'll have plenty of adjustment range once you put the UMHW tape on the opposite side of the miter bar. Another option is to use metal foil tape.

tom coleman
03-29-2016, 9:05 PM
UHMW tape or metal foil tape are good suggestions...........who sells them

Lee Schierer
03-30-2016, 7:56 AM
UHMW tape or metal foil tape are good suggestions...........who sells them

See the link in my post........

John Sanford
03-30-2016, 6:03 PM
Some will suggest putting dimples in the sides of the bar with a center punch, but the dimples wear quickly and you are back where you started.
Dimples, in this case, would probably be a very bad idea, as the miter bars are steel and the miter slots are aluminum. You would have to accurately and precisely position the dimples on ALL of the miter bars so the tracks they cut in the miter slot are identical, otherwise you'd just end up widening your slot. Dimple again. Repeat....... :(