PDA

View Full Version : Mark Singer passed away

Mike Henderson
03-28-2016, 7:20 PM
I just learned that Mark Singer passed away in September (http://www.latimes.com/socal/coastline-pilot/news/tn-cpt-me-0925-singer-obit-20150918-story.html). Mark was a regular contributor to this forum some years ago but had not been active in a while. I'm posting this for the people who knew him when he was active.

I had the chance to visit with Mark one time - he lived fairly close to me. In addition to seeing his shop, he gave me a tour of his home and of another home we was building on the side of a hill in Laguna Beach. He was a very good craftsman and a great person. I know he'll be missed by many people

Mike

Bruce Page
03-28-2016, 7:52 PM
That is sad news. Mark was a very talented woodworker and artist. Mark also helped moderate SMC for a time.

RIP Mark, you will be missed.

Matt Meiser
03-28-2016, 8:09 PM
Oh wow....how sad. I was in Lake Forest for some training several years ago and had dinner with Mark and his wife, got a tour of the house and shop and generally talked shop. Fun evening and a chance to see something totally different than the Midwestern styles I'm used to. We were actually just talking about him on Friday because we are talking about taking a trip to California next year.

One thing I learned from Mark was his pocket-hole drawer technique which I used on a lot of my cabinetry projects. I was convinced when he showed me file drawers in his office built this way.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2016, 8:28 PM
What a shock!

Mark was an incredible source of woodworking information and an inspiration to all!

Thanks for the link Mike!

Michael Peet
03-28-2016, 8:50 PM
Terrible news, but thank you for letting us know. I built some legs for a project using the "mitered infill" technique he posted about once.

Mike

Matt Day
03-28-2016, 9:39 PM
That's very sad news. I enjoyed his posts. RIP

Prashun Patel
03-28-2016, 11:49 PM
Oh wow!!!! I m really saddened to hear this. Mark had an inspiring design aesthetic. I think of him aspirationally as i am crafting my own design sense.

His modern elegance, timber size abd choice of wood really spoke to me.

Keith Outten
03-29-2016, 12:52 AM
This is very sad news. Mark was a talented woodworker and Architect and he will be missed here.

Frank Martin
03-29-2016, 1:55 AM
Very sad news! He was definitely a very talented craftsman. I really liked his designs.

Jason Roehl
03-29-2016, 5:57 AM
He will certainly be missed. I really enjoyed his posts and contributions here, as his approach to things was often a break from the norm.

Cody Colston
03-29-2016, 8:23 AM
I was thinking about Mark and his fine furniture just a few days ago. He was very talented, for sure.

Rod Sheridan
03-29-2016, 8:38 AM
Thanks Mike for posting this.

I always enjoyed Mark's input on the forum, there was always something to be learned from him.

I'll miss his contributions..............Regards, Rod.

John Gornall
03-29-2016, 10:36 AM
I had a couple on email conversations with Mark about certain furniture designs - he was generous with his time. Then I looked at his house designs and asked a few questions. He said he had only really designed one house - just making it better each time. I'm having a house designed right now and had referred the designer to Mark's website just last week. A fine fellow.

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2016, 3:55 PM
I am very sorry to hear this. RIP Mark.

Ted Calver
03-29-2016, 5:10 PM
May he rest in peace. Thanks for the post, Mike. I sure enjoyed his posts and his skills.

Chris Padilla
03-29-2016, 5:19 PM
I came close to meeting him in person a few times but we could never quite connect. We did chat many times over PM and emails. He has been MIA for several years here. I hope he is truly at peace now. My wife and I had a friend from back in grad school days that very suddenly passed away from pancreatic cancer. Such a cancer is particularly virulent.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2016, 6:15 PM
The fact that Mark lasted a year after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer is testament to the fact they must have caught it early and there may be improved methods of treatment. When I was still working, I saw a lot of people being scanned for pancreatic cancer and often they only lasted a couple months. I asked one of the radiologists why it was so often a short term before death. He said "Its a somewhat silent killer. By the time you have any symptoms, it's already spreading to other organs." Nasty stuff and it's seen frequently.

glenn bradley
03-29-2016, 6:16 PM
What sad news. I thought he had just wandered off or gotten busy as he has at times in the past. A great talent. R.I.P. Mark.

Jim Becker
03-29-2016, 6:28 PM
I'm truly sad to learn about this. I visited with Mark more than once and enjoyed his hospitality including his family. I actually spoke with him early last year when in the area and although he wasn't available to eat with my colleague and I at the time, we did chat for a few minutes. After reading the obituary, I'm sure his declining to get together then was because of his battle...something he didn't mention. RIP Mr. Singer. An incredibly talented and amazing man. He will be missed.

Lori Kleinberg
03-29-2016, 11:22 PM
I am really sorry to hear this. I always enjoyed reading his post. RIP Mark.

Martin Shupe
03-30-2016, 1:49 AM
Very sorry to hear about this. Mark was a talented man, and will be missed.

Dennis Peacock
03-30-2016, 2:21 PM
Terrible news!!!!!
I always enjoyed his posts and he was a very good moderator as well. RIP Mark and prayers out for his surviving family.

Mike Wilkins
03-30-2016, 2:48 PM
Sad to hear of Mark's passing. I will always remember him for his insights, and especially for responding to an inquiry about one of his furniture designs I had for him.

Andrew Joiner
03-31-2016, 12:33 PM
I'm sad. I feel like I knew him well. I never met him, but I felt a kinship with him through his work and his posts here.

Dick Strauss
03-31-2016, 3:55 PM
I'm truly saddened by Mark's passing. I never got a chance to meet him but I felt like I knew him through his posts. He had quite a sense of style that we would be lucky to emulate. I wish his family the best!

Joe Mioux
04-15-2016, 10:25 PM
I was catching up on reading some threads and was stunned to come across an old thread where I saw "in memoriam below Mark's name. He was a gem and was always willing to help and also challenge a fellow woodworker. Sad news.

Kent Parker
12-14-2016, 6:17 PM
I know this is an older thread but like Mark, I have not been on the forum for a long time. I find myself shocked at Marks passing. He was one the folks that inspired me to do better as a craftsman either by his many posts or having the opportunity to see his work. I have many photos of his work in a "Mark Singer" folder in my computer. His post of 2007 "Proportions based on physics...statics" was quickly printed and has been on my desk stand ever since. I have recreated his great little "gull-wing" boxes and came back here today to review the table tray he made as it is time for a few christmas presents. The trays will take on a whole different presence now that Mark has passed. I think all of us here are lucky he dropped by.

Cheers,

Kent