PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Planer

Mike O'Keefe
03-28-2016, 5:33 PM
Thinking about a purchasing a new Grizzly Planer G0453 15''. Any body purchased one lately?? Pro's-con's Thought about the Dewalt 2 speed 13'' but would prefer the larger sized planer.Thanks Mike

Ken Platt
03-28-2016, 9:43 PM
I've had mine for a few years. Love it. Great power - I had a dewalt lunchbox before, and the endless passes taking off a smidge each time were mind numbing. This thing actually seems happier when I make heavier cuts and gives a better surface. Very light cuts can leave roller imprints, which I know can be eliminated by adjusting roller pressure, but it's never been an issue for me worth fiddling with. Great dust collection. Ran perfectly right out of the crate. I can't think of a single thing about it that I'd change.

Ken

Art Mann
03-28-2016, 11:17 PM
If you want to take off 3/16" you are fine but if you only want to take off 0.020", a cast iron planer will often leave marks on the wood from the infeed roller. I have never been able to adjust my planer so it didn't do that. My lunchbox planer will do that just fine so I use both.

Cary Falk
03-28-2016, 11:27 PM
That's why you have a drum sander. :D I do recall reading that the new G0453 has an rubber outfeed roller. It doesn't say that in the catalog though. A call to CS would confirm that. That should help with the planer marks. I own one and would buy it again.

Mark W Pugh
03-29-2016, 2:39 AM
That's why you have a drum sander. :D I do recall reading that the new G0453 has an rubber outfeed roller. It doesn't say that in the catalog though. A call to CS would confirm that. That should help with the planer marks. I own one and would buy it again.

The spec sheet shows rubber outfeed roller. http://cdn1.grizzly.com/specsheets/g0453zw_ds.pdf

Ken Harris
03-29-2016, 7:51 AM
I have the g0453z with helical head,it does a great job,you will need good dust collection I can fill up a 32 gallon garbage can in no time at all.

Steve Jenkins
03-29-2016, 7:37 PM
Actually the marks are caused by the Infeed roller which is serrated to grip the wood . The out feed roller is smooth if it's not rubber coated. I have a rubber Infeed and smooth out feed roller on my planer and can take off half a pencil line without indenting the board.

Marty Tippin
03-29-2016, 8:19 PM
Actually the marks are caused by the Infeed roller which is serrated to grip the wood . The out feed roller is smooth if it's not rubber coated.

Not on the Grizzly and most other similarly made 15" and 20" planers. The outfeed roller is serrated steel, except in the very newest Grizzly (the one with model number ending in "W" - G0453W or G0453ZW) which has a rubber outfeed roller. You can, with enough trial and error, back off the outfeed roller pressure enough to eliminate or nearly eliminated the roller marks.

Jeff Bartley
03-30-2016, 7:15 AM
Actually the marks are caused by the Infeed roller which is serrated to grip the wood . The out feed roller is smooth if it's not rubber coated. I have a rubber Infeed and smooth out feed roller on my planer and can take off half a pencil line without indenting the board.

Steve, what planer do you have? Did you replace the infeed roller with a rubber coated one?

Matt Day
03-30-2016, 7:28 AM
Some people have replaced their roller with a rubber coated one from Delta. The part ain't cheap though.
I suppose Grizzly's might be cheaper now that they are making one.

Steve Jenkins
03-30-2016, 7:36 AM
Steve, what planer do you have? Did you replace the infeed roller with a rubber coated one?

I have a 20"felder. It came with rubber coated rollers on both Infeed and out feed. They were starting to get gummy due to age so when I replaced them I used a steel one for the outfield due to the cost of the rubber ones.

Marty Tippin
03-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Some people have replaced their roller with a rubber coated one from Delta. The part ain't cheap though.
I suppose Grizzly's might be cheaper now that they are making one.

The Grizzly rubber outfeed roller for the 15" planer is about $56 but isn't currently available for shipment. http://www.grizzly.com/parts/P0453W065

I could get no information from Grizzly to indicate whether the rubber roller could be used to replace the steel roller in the older planers, but for $56, I'm inclined to order one and see whether it will work or not. I'd be very surprised if the dimensions on the rubber roller were any different than the steel roller.

Wes Ramsey
03-30-2016, 11:37 AM
I've got a relatively new G0453 with the helical head. Absolutely love it! I had to remove the foam strip on the top cover to get the dust collection to work right, but it has been a champ since then. I also get INFEED roller marks when doing light passes. I have it adjusted for pretty light pressure, but still get roller prints when taking a really light pass. The outfeed roller doesn't imprint like that.

I called Grizzly to see if the new rubber outfeed roller would fit mine, but they said it was a no-go. If I ever get fed up with the infeed imprinting enough I may pull it out and plasti-dip it, but I work mostly with rough-sawn wood so I imagine it wouldn't last very long.

Cary Falk
03-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Find a machine shop to turn it down and send it to western roller to have it coated.

Wes Ramsey
03-31-2016, 11:04 AM
Find a machine shop to turn it down and send it to western roller to have it coated.

Didn't know such a place existed. Thanks for the lead! I sent them an email asking for prices and suggested material for the coating.

Cody Colston
03-31-2016, 11:18 AM
I have a GO453 planer. The only complaint I have is tear-out on some woods. I work with a lot of ERC and Walnut. Both are bad about tearout due to knots (erc) and grain changes (walnut). I'd love to change the knife head to a spiral head but am having trouble turning loose of the $800 for the upgrade.

The tracks from the infeed roller have never been an issue with me. A powered, planed surface is not a finish surface, anyway. It will still require hand planing, scraping or sanding.

Cary Falk
03-31-2016, 1:16 PM
Didn't know such a place existed. Thanks for the lead! I sent them an email asking for prices and suggested material for the coating.
Western Roller - Nicest bunch of guys I have worked with in some time. Here is a picture of my rollers from a JPM-13 that just came back.
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/20160317_145807_zpsu9jejlqd.jpg

For the record, I put the Delta Rubber roller in the infeed and outfeed of my G0453Z

glenn bradley
03-31-2016, 1:23 PM
After my experience with an insert head on my jointer I went with the G0453Z. No tearout problems and I work with some wonky woods. The insert head will pay for itself shortly after you turn the inserts the first time based on my knife sharpening and replacement schedules for the same amount of use. Fine Woodworking and other magazines have run articles on this "payback" period. Here's one:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/article/bottom-line-on-segmented-cutterhead-cost.aspx